De-Loused In The Comatorium review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Jun 24, 2003
The Mars Volta: De-Loused In The Comatorium

The sound on this album is simply amazing. It's so different than the usual stuff you hear normally. There is a story attached to Deloused. It is based off of a friend of the band's dreams while he was in a coma. The musical style of this record alone has inspired my own music in so many ways. The amount of effects used and the unique sound really adds to the strange lyrics. The random, yet very precise sound of the guitar is by far my favorite aspect of this album.

The lyrics are extremely cryptic. They are based around a single character, Cerpin Taxt, who, while in a coma has bizarre and confusing dreams. The story is very, very odd, yet extremely intriguing. You'll find yourself listening to songs on the album over and over and reading through the lyrics to understand the complex story behind it. The lyrics and music fit together pefectly. The eerie sounding music with the strange lyrics really compliment each other. Cedric's vocals also perfect the bands unique sound.

I can honestly say that I haven't heard other bands that sound like this. The Mars Volta has such a unique sound that it's hard to even compare them to other bands. I find the most impressive song is Roulette Dares. It has one of the catchiest guitar riffs I've ever heard, and is really just a great song. I love this album because it is unique. It's not just some CD from some emo band that sounds just like a million other CDs. I also love the fact that the guitar style is so different. Omar uses a unique guitar style that only a few artists have before. Lots of unresolved dissonant sounds, and hundreds of effects really add to the feeling of the album. If it were lost or stolen I'd buy it again that day. It's a great album from a great and unique band.

Dallen_007
    for the last reviewer, Omar doesnt sing, he plays guitar. Cedric Bixler sings
    RPotts
    I went back and listened to this album the whole way through the other night at 2am. Damn it is good.