De-Loused In The Comatorium review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Jun 24, 2003
The Mars Volta: De-Loused In The Comatorium

One of the words that best describes this album is frantic. Quick, catchy, tempo-changing music. The range of sounds and effects heard during the course of this album is truly innovative, very creative as well. The mix of Cedric's spacey dynamic voice, Omar's frantic guitar playing and insane effects, and the off tempo crazy drumming is one not very common in today's music. The album goes to so many places, so you'll sure to find a song you like. It's one of those albums where the "best song" can be almost any of the tracks on the album, it's that diversed.

The singer, Cedric, is one of those high pitched chick-voiced singers. I've gotten very much used to him, so by now I really love him. You either love it, or you hate it. His voice matches the music well, and Cedric is one of the singer's where you can feel the emotion, whether it's anger or sadness, in every word he sings. A lot of the lyrics itself are strange, not exactly the most straight forward lyrics you'll find.

De-loused is easily their best album. It's just so polished, so solid that it really is above their past (and what became their future albums). What's impressive is how some of the songs seem similar, but are really all different. The frantic style, strange vocal ranged singer, and the wall of notes, beats, and other assorted noises all come together to make one amazing album, something every serious music fan needs to heard through at least once.

Infamou$17
    MantaExpo
    Infamou$17 wrote: Saddens me knowing that the way they are headed they will probably never be this good again ;( Everything about this album... even both covers... is f*cking ridiculous and if you haven't heard it you are missing out on something monumental.
    The sad thing is, they can't be like other bands and keep their sound. Their whole thing is progression, whether for better or worse they are trying to keep evolving and changing their sound. Who knows, maybe their evolution with lead into something better (if thats possible!)
    Tumble-weed
    The Mars Volta are really a love it or hate it kind of band. I loved this album but didn't really enjoy The Bedlam in Goliath as much as I wanted to. This is their best album imo, with Frances the Mute close behind.
    jhooves
    I saw these guys on comcast "on demand". They seemed like a mix between 70's rock, acid, and a bunch of funky shiznit. Lots of energy and creativeness. I'll check this cd out when I got the cash
    Mojo89
    the singer sucks but the instrumentation is very reminiscent of larks tongues in aspic part one which is great!