Frances The Mute review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Mar 1, 2005
The Mars Volta: Frances The Mute

This is the best album of 2005 so far, and I doubt very many others will come close to even touching the creativity and thoughtfullness of this album. The 5 songs that comrpise this record are nothing short of brilliant. There is a verry different air about this record, when compared to their previous work, 2003's "Deloused In The Comatorium." The music is more intense, the lyrics are a little more comphrehendable, and there is greater contrast among the songs, from the raging funk verses of "Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus," to the waltz-y gloom of "Miranda, That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore." Even the "lesser" songs (the aforementioned "Miranda..." and the single "The Widow") are excellent. One thing that amazes me is the fact that the album's closer, "Cassanrda Gemini," is well over 30 minutes long, and doesn't get boring, even on repeated listens.

Lyrically, this album is a little more comprehendable (depending on how much Spanish you know), and there aren't as many obscure or made-up words as there were on "Deloused..." There is, however, still a lot of imagery diplayed in the lyrics, and a deep meaning that is far above the "You ruined my life..." variety that is all too common today. Being a conceptual album, I won't give any spoilers. You'll just have to buy the record. The 4 is because you need to know at least some spanish to really get into the lyrics of this record.

This album is not better or worse than "Deloused..." It is an entirely different affair, and to judge it against their previous work would be unfair. The music is intense, brilliant, and I hope this album is as revered in 50 years as "Dark Side Of The Moon" is today. It may sound like I'm some sort of fanboy, but this album really is good, epecially the album's closer, "Cassandra Gemini." If this album were stolen, I'd buy two more copies and a safe, one to listen to, the other to keep in the safe just in case.