Frances The Mute review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Mar 1, 2005
The Mars Volta: Frances The Mute

Wow was all that I could say after listening to Frances The Mute. Although, you might get impatient listening to it, often it has 3-5 minutes of nothing but distorted noises, birds chirping and people screaming, the sound was just absolutely amazing. Even the first 3 minutes of Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus are breathtaking!

I will agree with the other people on here. If you didn't pay attention in Spanish class, you didn't know what the hell was going on. But they made perfect sense to me. The lyrics, although sometimes random, are beautiful, creepy and intense all at the same time. Cedric's voice fits the lyrics so well it's scary. But high-intensity lyrics call for high-intensity vocals.

I didn't want to do it because people will think I'm just an idiot who will love any piece of crap he puts in his CD player, but I am going to have to give this CD all excellent ratings. It is no doubt the best CD of 2005. But if people ask me if "American Idiot" is the best, I'll still say yes. Only because it's impossible to compare Frances The Mute to anything else. It's just too different from anything anyone has put out. I can't believe that I was deciding for 30 minutes whether to buy Breaking Benjamin's "We Are Not Alone" or Frances The Mute, and ending up buying "We Are Not Alone" instead! Believe me, "We Are Not Alone" is a superb CD, but it doesn't compare to Frances The Mute. I probably could spend 76:55 minutes every day for the rest of my life listening to Frances the Mute. Don't miss out. Go buy it!