Scab Dates review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Nov 8, 2005
The Mars Volta: Scab Dates

First of all, I'm a very big Mars Volta fan. Ever since a friend of mine turned me on to them I haven't really stopped listening. I always wanted to see them live, and well, due to lack of funds I haven't been able to. A live album was just what I needed, however it was nothing I expected. The sound of it was fairly good, although Omar left out a lot of riffs and solos.

The lyrics, as with any Mars Volta CD, are very strange at best. However, once you get a grip on the tales being told, then it all seems to make sense in a strange sort of way. The lyrics on this record are all pretty much from songs already put out by the band, save the parts of "Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt", which include "Gust Of Mutts" and "And Ghousted Pouts." However Cedric is pretty good on this record, although I prefer him on the studio albums. He sometimes misses entire parts, or just sounds horrible, such as in the chorus of "Cicatiz ESP," which didn't quite fly over very well in my opinion. Still, Cedric has an awesome voice and he clearly showcases it.

This album, in my opinion, is the worst of The Mars Voltas' catalog. Simply because there are times of pretty much white noise, where you wonder if the album is over or not. On Frances The Mute, there was spaces, sure, but they were filled in with over-the-top noises and psychotropic background imagery. What I really liked was some of the guitar work on the album, but alas, I hated how they didn't end "Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt" the way it was ended on the album. That was my favorite part of the entire album, and it was left out. But still, I would buy it again if it was stolen, and I still recommend it to anyone who is a fan.