The Bedlam In Goliath review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Jan 29, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
The Mars Volta: The Bedlam In Goliath

The mars volta I think, is one of the greatest bands alive today. But I feel this new album is deffinatly not there best. The band is so much better then this. I'll start by saying this, every song on the album sounds the same. Some people may butcher me and disagree, but everysong has a similar beat, and structure. Mars volta is known for there non-standard song structure, but most of the songs follow a verse-chorus-verse-chorus-instrumental-chorus structure (and very drawn out too). Cedrics singing is deffinatly not at his full potential. He is more talking then he is singing in this album. There are no epic vocal moments like in Frances the mute. Even the band I don't feel is at there full potential. There are no guitar riffs or standout, or amazing bass solos or great sax solos. The ones that are there just feel like they were thrown in there. Some may ask about the new drummer. He is a very very very very very good drummer, but I feel like, in all the songs, he is just blasting away the drum set really fast. I don't like the way the album is mixed either. It just sounds like, layer apon layer apon layer.

Of coarse the lyrics are very abstract, typical mars volta. It actually seems like the song tittles are more abstract then the lyrics. But for those who don't know, the albums story is about, a quija board, called "soothsayer" that Omar gave to cedric as a gift from Israel. The band begins to mess around with the Quija baord but it seems like it brings them bad luck. Omars basement gets flooded, there engineer goes crazy, yada yada yada. That's pretty much what the album is about. You know what though, this may sound harsh, but I don't really care about the lyrics now. Cedric does not present the lyrics good. as Stated before, his singing is just not what it should be.

Please don't get me wrong, the mars volta is one of my favorite bands, I have evey album by them and know all about them. But this album is jsut a dissapointment. Which is ironic because this was probaly the most advertised album of them all (I've never even seen a commercial for amputechture). All and all, this album is just dull, and unexciting.