The Bedlam In Goliath review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Jan 29, 2008
The Mars Volta: The Bedlam In Goliath

The Mars Volta have been around for a long time if you are looking at bands today. I've been wanting to get this album for about, since the last one came out. The music is so different then everyone else it immediately was out-of-this-world style. The sound on this particular album was especially different because of the introduction of the new drummer, Thomas Pridgen. You can clearly hear the drums are more intense from the start with the song, Aberinkula. The story behind this album was one of my favourite with the spirit that this album was based off of. It was one of intrest and disturbia, (Go play the Mars Volta online game). But since there were only a few songs on this album that I purely enjoyed I will only give this a 7-8, more or less a 8.

This is a Mars Volta album, so you are going ot expect the lyrics that are always, "odd"? But what, Cedric has done here is put together a great piece of work, one of my favourite songs which is judged on the lyrical work is the song, Ilyena. I also enjoyed the video very much, especially with Omar playing his part. Cedric tried to keep the tempo of his lyrics with the tempo of the music which in today's world of no sense of music is a brilliant prefromance of it's own. If you like The Mars Volta and try to get as much little info as I do, you would learn the Cedric has the vocal ability to the highest note masculinly possible, and although he didn't do it here, his vocals should be put in the top ten.

The Mars Volta can only be compared to one other band. That is The MArs Volta itself, trying to compare The Mars Volta to any other band is just useless. Possible the most impressive song on this album is the average length 7:15 song, Goliath. What I love is the energy it emmits and the fact that it is one of the already classic Mars Volta songs like, Eriatarka, and The Widow. The only thing I do hate is that it goes to a solo pretty early. I would possible go into a mental breakdown if this was stolen.

StratMaster101
    I WANT TO LICK THE MARS VOLTA ALL OVER IN THE TINGLY PLACES!!! They are SOOO good! This album is a step forward for them IMO. Not even a semi-expiremental band can keep putting out albums with thirty minutes of ambience in them, not saying that that's a bad thing, just that you can't keep putting out the same album over and over and over again. Good job Volta.
    justaprologue
    BobTheBlob
    justaprologue wrote: This is by far their worst album, Cedric's voice sounds terrible and the mixing is shit. Fanboy cock-jockeys need to get off their collective penises. I'd rather listen to Amputechture than this pile of meh.
    I agree with all of this, except I thought Amputechture was pretty good, and you forgot to mention the drummer orgasming throughout the entire thing.
    floydzeppelin
    ya this album could be a lot better. theres just way too much going on, mars volta needs to go back to the way they were for deloused. it just sounds like noise to me.
    floydzeppelin
    SL!!! wrote: "they are getting ridiculously pretentious and up their own asses and dont have the songs anymore to back that up" Seriously? The "pretentious" argument is the biggest bunch of bull i've ever heard. So are you saying all jazz musicians who improve are pretentious? There's nothing wrong with showing off your skill or trying to make music complex for the sake of achieving a different feel or sound. That's why they're experimental, that's why they do what they do. So maybe you like simpler melodies and songs, big deal, don't bitch about a band because you don't "get it" or have an appreciation for music theory or people showcasing their skills. CRIPES.
    are you kidding me!??!?!?! you call this jazz? i dont know what your talking about. this sounds like cedric and omar and the rest ofthem had sex with their instruments and recorded what it sounded like.
    floydzeppelin
    element4433 wrote: There was never anybody in Sublime named "Isaiah "Ikey" Owens"
    also for this he recorded some stuff with sublime but he wasnt in the band for more than like 2 or 3 songs. he was in long beach dub allstars that had bud and eric from the band in it.
    Hash4you
    geez, u guys are all writers i suppose? its a reivew, and to the guy who said "Especially for such an important album as this" chill out, it's just a record, and all u spelling nerds are WAY too smart for ure own good...chill OUT.
    justchillin21
    Amazing cd. Me n my boys just got done listening to it while having a few beers, pretty tight stuff. TMV never stop impressing me.