The Bedlam In Goliath review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Jan 29, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
The Mars Volta: The Bedlam In Goliath

The sound of this album is not as aggressive as the band would like you to think, the concept of this album is hard to get into the band used an evil ouija board to summon an evil spirit or something like that, it kind of loses me there, because I have a hard time caring about people that purposefully put themselves in the way of danger to get attention, I can't see how the album theme is different. Ignoring all that, this is a good album, the guitar work is innovative and how couldn't it be with john helping the guys out.

The lyrics are good. I am a fan of the lyrics, just not of the concept, I don't see them being aggressive, not really, fast paced, along with the music, and exciting and upbeat most of the time. It doesn't drag you down like Francis the mute. On the other hand it's a really hard listen, not something you could easily listen to all the way through.

It compares with other Mars volta songs I think, ouroborous is my favorite, most of the songs seem old and dated and I don't know why, it will grow on you, but it will take a really long time, it lacks emotionally some how as well, I have really mixed feelings about this album, in a way it feels rushed, like they felt they just had to make something to have something made.