The Bedlam In Goliath review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Jan 29, 2008
The Mars Volta: The Bedlam In Goliath

Ah yes, the progressive, psychedelic, funk, rock group return again with what must be there best album so far. The Mars Volta, always seen by there two front-men the whiney vocalist Cedric Bixler-Zavala and the eccentric lead guitarist Omar Rodrguez-Lpez, have brought us nothing but the best of mind-blowingly good music. This time, with "The Bedlam In Goliath", inspired by Cedric's Ouija board, and the mysterious 'Soothsayer', you practically tell it's going to be complete chaos or complete chaos. Also an extra attachment was new drummer Thomas Pridgen, who I have to say when seen live, is amazing and really is another great asset to the band. But anyway, first looks at their newest album, it seems could be the best I have seen all year.

Cedric, in my own view, has a very individual sounding voice. Especially good at hitting those really high notes that I don't any other band I know could. So he really provides some special to the band. As for the lyrics, the key thing about Mars Volta is that they are very hard to decipher, sometimes I'm not even sure they're making any sense whatsoever. But this can also be used to an advantage as whether it's a song about love or hate or flying pigs, he can sing it in anyway he wants and it still wouldn't sound like it's wrong. With crazy music comes crazy vocals, as fans know from the previous albums.

You can't really compare this to many other albums as it has so many genres, some of which I can't even hear in the music but then again, I'm still learning many music concepts every day and I might pick them up sometime. The most impressive songs have to be 'Aberinkula' simply because it's a great intro to the album and the other would be 'Goliath' because it rips through the main song, getting to a slow part, builds up and blows you down. However, there are some things I have to dislike about this album and with some of the other Mars Volta records would be the amount of 'noodling' in some songs. basically, the parts where Omar just plays odd riffs over and over, tweaking them. It can sometimes sound like he's jamming and not working properly as a musician, but he has formed his own quintet full of the stuff if you do enjoy it. To finish up, if you were a fan of the previous work, then you will not be disappointed by their latest works.

laquerhead
    SeVeN 2 eLeVeN was completly off...but no one can blame him really thats what posting reveiws is about. And everyone knows that there is going to be a Critic in the crowd somewhere at some point in time. I enjoyed the album completly (i wrote a review and gave it a 10 so yea).
    Mr Pringle
    I'm a bit disappointed in every ones view on this album, I liked it a lot i suppose i don't hate any mars volta album their style is beyond belief, they're still the best band ever and always will be.