The Bedlam In Goliath review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Jan 29, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
The Mars Volta: The Bedlam In Goliath

This is their worst album to date. I think you will either get it or not, love it or hate it, for the most part. It's all over the place. It rocks in some places and the guitar is good as always, but even that doesn't compare with previous releases. The production isn't as good either. I think they tried too hard on this one, it just leaves you empty wanting something else. There is traces of their past albums, but no new sound really, nothing that grabs you like past albums.

Crazy lyrics as usual. Nothing new here. I don't have a problem with the lyrics, but I do have a major problem with Cedric's singing. I don't understand why they put all of those effects on his voice. It ruins his voice and he now sings even higher than before and I cringed listening to him throughout the whole cd. It started with Amputechture, and while it worked with that and could be overlooked, it just doesn't work here. He now sounds like a robotic chipmunk. Very disappointing because I love his normal singing voice.

Like I said, it is their absolute worst release yet. While I love their unusual ideas with concepts and lyrics, the music fails this time around. The only worthy tracks on here are Soothsayer, although very pompous and overproduced, like much of the album, and Conjugal Burns. Don't buy it.

dudemanwhoathe1
    tommytomtomtom
    dudemanwhoathe1 : Honestly, I don't care for this album at all. I've listened through Frances the Mute at least 50 times now, and Amputecture almost as much. Deloused was ok, but its a little too ordinary for me. The problem with this album to me is the overusage of musical ideas. There isn't enough diversity, and thats what TMV usually are- a progressive rock monster that eats all genres in it's way, and I love that. I definately prefer the more progressive sides of the Mars Volta. That being said, I'm buying every one of their albums from here on out. And all the solo projects. I wish they'd hurry though, 'cause I'm jonesin' for some Volta baaaad, man.
    ok first off deloused is truly amazing, u just havent listend to it enought, just like any other album by them. secondly bedlam is amazing, u need to listen to it a lot of times like the other, i was like u at first and thought that this album was shallow and meh, but after listening to it ( a lot!!) i realised how much more deep it is compared to their other albums. u should also look up the story behind the album, that may help u understand it more, and if u havent already, do the same for their other ones
    f1sk
    Confetti wrote: f1sk wrote: punk metal? progressive metal? I don't think so..... anyway, I agree the album just had more substance, and I by that I just mean more songs, and less white noise. loud? im not sure if I would say that but I guess I see why people say that, there seemed to be less variety on this album (compared to amp) but I guess youll have that when all 12 tracks are actual songs there were definitely less instances where all the instruments quieted down for a guitar solo. What are you jabbering about? Volta is straight out heavy prog. The album is in between Comatorium and Frances. It better then Frances The Mute but still is not as good as Comatorium. The style itself is in between these two also. The punk metal tag is so off place here -_-
    are you retarted prog but not prog metal
    Paul Carbonella
    Here's how TMV's albums go from best to worst. -De-Loused in the Comatorium -Francis The Mute -Tremulant -Bedlam In Goliath -Amputechture Bedlam is alright. I think that the songs make a bit more sense, technically, then some of their other works but that's almost what I dont like about it. There are parts that are straight up punk. That's cool and all, but it's not what I listen to the Mars Volta for.
    sykguitaryst
    this album sucks. i would even listen to amputechture over this. what gets me is the whinny vocals and theres just too much goin on in the songs. i couldnt write anything like this but then again i wouldnt want to. the songs from the newer album sound way better, heres to hoping thats amazing like everything else they put out.
    Mr Pringle
    I actually think that this is their most polished album, they're all really different but most volta fans just want another deloused and too any one who wants that can just **** off.
    cavalettas
    I dunno why fans are divided over this album, I thought it was genius, some of their best work.
    Morgant
    Each songs takes a few listens but once I found those really cool moments I realized it is an amazing album. Like seriously, I doubt half of the people who yell "ALBUM SUCKS, DELOUSED/FRANCES BEST" and then leave, have actually listened to in it's entirety. It's a damn brandwagon, and it really has tarnished the reputation this album should have.
    ripping.flesh
    I really cant understand how people call this album stupid. Its probably their best! They left behind some noisy stuff that I hated in their early albuns. Dude, theres no way you dont like Aberinkula, Metraton, Wax Simulacra, Goliath, Agadez and Ouroborous.... Sorry for bad english....
    p.d.s.91
    Pridgen scares me, he scares the shit out of me, almost to the point of where I want to sell my drums and be some white collar guy