Anthology: The First 30 Years review by The Marshall Tucker Band

• Released: Feb 1, 2005
The Marshall Tucker Band: Anthology: The First 30 Years

This album is a fine collection of some of the Marshall Tucker Band's biggest hits and best songs throughout the three decades they've been recording. They have been one of the greatest southern rock bands for the past thirty years and are known for fusing a down-home country feel with some sweet sounding blues and good ol' rock n' roll. This album starts off with the song Take The Highway from their debut album in 1973 and gradually progresses to some of their most recent hits including Face Down In The Blues and Ramblin that were released in 1998. This is a nice mix of the old and newer hits that the MTB has released and there isn't a song that I dislike or think should've been left out on this album.

The lyrics on this album are one of a kind. The Marshall Tucker Band always kept their lyrics simple, yet meaningful. There is nothing too lyrically extravagant on this album, but they always seem to get their message and emotions across to you. Many of the lyrics contained in this album are about the simple pleasures in life, such as family, friends, love, and just having a good time. The lyrics seem to complement the surrounding music very well, and vice-versa.

This is the perfect album to get if you are a Marshall Tucker Band fan looking for a collection of some of their finest work in the recording studio. It is organized in a chronological timeline from the first hit single to the last. Personally, I am not usually a big fan of greatest hits albums, but I have enjoyed this one and would recommend it to any Marshall Tucker Band or southern rock fan. Some of the favorites on this 2 disc set are Can't You See, Face Down In The Blues, and Take The Highway. Disc two also contains a concert video from the DVD Live From the Garden State 1981. That footage is playable on most standard computers. If this album were stolen, I would definitely buy it again. There are some great tunes on here that I couldn't live without!

musicalgirl
    Cool, I am going to go and have a listen now!! An informative, well written review that makes me want to find out more about The Marshall Tucker Band! Well done...MG...