One Man Revolution review by The Nightwatchman

• Released: Apr 24, 2007
The Nightwatchman: One Man Revolution

The nightwatchman is Tom Morellos solo project so you wod think that it would be metal or even rock? No it's acoustic rock & roll with a bit of country in it. Suprised? I was. Slow tempo songs that make sure that you get the point of the song before it's over. It's mayby a bit of to compare it to neil young but it isn't really that farfetched. After few songs you come to realise that it's not just few songs that are acoustic, it's the whole album.

The most songs are about Morellos fiew about the politics and the situation of the world. So it means that he pursuits his own revolution (on his own). Only a acoustic quitar few other instruments, it really highlights the lyricks of a one man revolution. It's all about melancholy and being a martyr. What all the lyrics mean to all of you, you must deside on yourself. Toms singing is absoluthly amazing. His voice compoused with the acousstic quitar makes you want to sit down and lissen to his stories.

To somebody say that you have to be a big Tom Morello fan to not get bored after the three first songs is a loud of bull. I didn't expect a totally acoustic record. Then again I din'nt expect to hear Tom Morello sing, ever. The hole record sounds really personal. Some people wod have wanted Tom to stay in the metal/rock scene. Mayby some of the RATM, and Audislave fans don't now how to take this album. The Nightwatchman is one of the biggest suprises of 2007. The revolution does'nt always come from the loudest of mouths.

Cilla Black
    I think that this is one of his best projects. It just shows a completly other side of his personality. Yeah like Morello said "I just recently realized that you don't need stacks of amps to write a heavy song"
    Ibanez RG350DX
    I didn't expect such a dramatic change from Tom Morello but I like it. His voice is definitely not what I expected such as in Until The End big change but for the good.
    Fenyx
    bmac85 wrote: i'm sorry but this album is not good, it so often borders cheesy that i could not take it seriously as a political piece..."on the streets of new york the cabs don't stop, on the street where i live they called the cops, found a noose in my garage how bout that, so tonight i'm in the bushes with a baseball bat"...come on, that's a little lame to be on a title track
    Dude, come on. Tom Morello is ****in amazing no matter what style he plays. He is one of the greatest guitarists/lyricists of all time. This album is amazing and anyone who says otherwise because its "too cheesy" should get stabbed in the ****n throat cuz this album roxx. keep it up Morello! don't give in and keep doing whatever the hell u want to do!
    Shockball V
    This is a different side to Tom and he is making a good one for those that aren't into RATM and need that Lowered distortion and Funky riffs and what not. I like cause it deeply Touches my emotions and How it relates to my Life
    lzpwns9976
    jcthomasva wrote: If Jack Black and Bob Dylan had a love child, and dropped him on his head at birth causing irreversible brain damage, then it would sound like Tom Morello on this album. I watched some of these "performances" and laughed my ass off at how bad they were. I can't even say I was impressed with the guitar work. I can't figure what Morello is so pissed off about. If he wasn't cashing in on his tenure with RATM and Audioslave no self-respecting record company would produce this childish drivel.) Wow. This may shock you, but there's more to music then just squeeling out tapped guitar solos while some heroin hyped singer belches out whining lyrics about how crappy his pathetic life is. you obviously know nothing about what makes music, and you have absolutely no right to comment here
    cooljew
    Second Rate wrote: cooljew, you kinda went to crap there towards the end. As far as Morello being pissed about the state of the current political system. He complained when the liberals had control of the white house too. He bitches for the sake of bitching. While jcthomasva... or however you spell it.... was a little incoherent with his opinion there... i would have to agree with him that Morello's lyrics are a little childish. He reminds me of those kids i went to high school with that were stuck on rage against the machine. They hate the government, but can't ever seem to give a reason why. He's no Bob Dylan.
    Okay, i'll admit i went a little off the deepend but at least recognize, that Tom Morello isn't a goddamn hippy. He does take action even if only occasionally. And as far as you taking a dig at RATM, remember the "Sleep Now in the Fire" video, that was real stuff, so don't go after Morello. I also agree that he bitched about the liberals and democrats, but even a lot of conservative people will admit that Bush is doing one terrible job in the white house.
    Asa Gaston
    Tom Morello is extremely liberal and takes a little too much pride in it. I think there are things you really shouldnt put in lyrics and one of them is being far too blunt in your political views. Seeing how it is almost split even. I'm not saying that you shouldn't speak your mind, just don't abuse others opinions or views. Tom Morello crossed that line and now that's all I think about listening to Rage or Audioslave or Watchman. He's not getting any more of my money.
    Asa Gaston
    oh and I happen to be conservative. But Bush certainly isn't doin a terrible job in the white house, but not a great one either. Not bad enough to write a bunch of bitchy songs about how you hate him (ugghm, Morello) He's kept this country from gettin attacked again. Sure there are some dead soldiers over there and we're pretty much sitting ducks. But I garruntee you that the number of soldiers lost would be close to the number of people killed in another terrorist attack.
    metalifan
    At least he becomes a big hit! You probably wont ever be like Tom Morello is! The Nightwatchman rocks!!
    con job
    Zakk Mylde wrote: Haha! America isn't the laughing stock of the world right now. Tom Morello is voicing his opinion against the corrupt systems and people in America (many bands do this and have done this in the past) and I'm sure it helps people on a small scale to realize what is really going on, but he sure isn't saving the world. Save the World? Are we all gonna die or something? P.S. I don't mean to get political or nothing but America rules and if you don't like it then get out!
    You being American, how the hell would you know if it is the laughing stock of the world or not? And just to tell you, it is. Most people think the actions taken by your country in the last few years have been nothing short of idiotic. I'm not gonna get into a political debate, but people have lost a lot of respect for the Americans
    rhcpfan27
    i love this album. house gone up in flames is a fantastic song. Especially when its live, then his speech before hand rules.
    tallicdeth
    OK, without flaming anyone...those who have posted it before are right, when I first heard this I thought he was channeling The Boss. And as much as I wanted badass guitar riffs and solos, this is great! I like how it's folksy and bluesy at the same time. The guitar is definetly...more relaxed, hence why it sounds juvenile. The mixing and mastering is horrible. But the lyrics, arrangement, and execution of the lyrics is great. My favorite songs on this album are House Gone Up In Flames, Union Song, The Road I Must Travel, Flesh Shapes the Day, and the last song on the album which sounds alot like Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen. As far as the political shite, yes, the leader of our country is a ****in douchebag. We all know it, and most of us know that we are being mocked for it. We shouldn't be in Iraq in the first place, and we should be moving back towards Afghanistan where the damn war started at. Don't tell me 9/11 was carried out so you can finish the war your daddy started. But yeah, we need more angry, pissed off songs in this time.