One Man Revolution Review

The Nightwatchman: One Man Revolution
Release Date: Apr 24, 2007
Label: Epic
Genres: Political Folk, Alternative Singer/Songwriter
It takes a great love for Morello's work and sharing his ideas to listen to the end of the album.
 Lyrics: 8.3
One Man Revolution Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 27, 2007

Sound: When you're politically active, calling yourself the black Robin Hood of 21st century music, you can't play songs about love and self-searching for a long time. Tom Morello wasn't sartisfied with his guitar duties in Audioslave and that made him create his own project The Nightwatchman to express his revolutionary ideas. Of course he wasn't thinking about recording back in 2003 when he started performing in front of small crowds in L.A., but then all of a sudden, three years later there's a whole album with 13 tracks. And no wonder it's called One Man Revolution. It all looks suspicious from the beginning, like the CD cover -- first you look at it and you can't understand what is wrong there. And then you notice it -- it's an acoustic guitar on the shoulder instead of an electric one somewhere around the knees. You would expect something loud from the man behind the Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave riffs and the 26th greatest guitarist of all time (according to Rolling Stone magazine), instead it's all very quiet, simple and folk, stuffed with slogans encouraging people to Stand up and stand strong. Morello decided he doesn't need anybody's help to express himself -- he's proudly alone on the record -- singing, playing guitar and harmonica. The record shares the moods of great sorrow and gritty emotions. The tunes are mostly gloomy with a plain acoustic guitar and eventual whining keyboards. Things get a little more cheerful with the lead single of the album -- The Road I Must Travel, which features a few other instruments apart from guitar. The song would make a good hymn for a Irelish Revolution -- there are army-like drums, country tunes, sing-alone chorus and a very patriotic vibe. Flesh Shapes The Day is almost rock 'n' roll, but without drums and with a few dirty-sounding chords. Both of the tracks show Morello at his best and make the most impressive songs out of the whole album. // 7

Lyrics: Known for his outspoken socialist politics, Morello couldn't avoid social topics on the album. He's sure that the world needs songs of rebellion and revolution right now and that's the main target of the album. With an unhidden hate to billionaires, Morello spits out bitter lyrics and sings sad tails about war with a sorrow in his voice. He's not shy about say who he's blaming in particular. While it's clear who's the main shitty politician, sharing the duties of the president of the USA now, the artist also sings about Colin Powell's lies. Claiming Bruce Springsteen as one of his influences, Morello sings in a similar manner. And it turns out that he's got a deep voice, reach for overtones in the lower notes. // 8

Overall Impression: You're gonna love the album if you're not bored to death after the third song. Sorry to admit it, but it takes a great love for Morello's work and sharing his ideas to listen to the end of the album. Eventually the point of the record is not to attract a huge crowd to the project, but humble attempt to make a revolution for those who needs it. It's about the message that the songs carry and to make the protest lyrics more obvious, the artist didn't vary the music with too many sounds. One Man Revolution is another side of Morello's talent and his guitar skills are just the background here. // 7

- Kosh (c) 2007

One Man Revolution Reviewed by: Confetti, on april 30, 2007

Sound: The nightwatchman is Tom Morellos solo project so you wod think that it would be metal or even rock? No it's acoustic rock & roll with a bit of country in it. Suprised? I was. Slow tempo songs that make sure that you get the point of the song before it's over. It's mayby a bit of to compare it to neil young but it isn't really that farfetched. After few songs you come to realise that it's not just few songs that are acoustic, it's the whole album. // 7

Lyrics: The most songs are about Morellos fiew about the politics and the situation of the world. So it means that he pursuits his own revolution (on his own). Only a acoustic quitar few other instruments, it really highlights the lyricks of a one man revolution. It's all about melancholy and being a martyr. What all the lyrics mean to all of you, you must deside on yourself. Toms singing is absoluthly amazing. His voice compoused with the acousstic quitar makes you want to sit down and lissen to his stories. // 10

Overall Impression: To somebody say that you have to be a big Tom Morello fan to not get bored after the three first songs is a loud of bull. I didn't expect a totally acoustic record. Then again I din'nt expect to hear Tom Morello sing, ever. The hole record sounds really personal. Some people wod have wanted Tom to stay in the metal/rock scene. Mayby some of the RATM, and Audislave fans don't now how to take this album. The Nightwatchman is one of the biggest suprises of 2007. The revolution does'nt always come from the loudest of mouths. // 9

One Man Revolution Reviewed by: dognoisefile, on august 04, 2008

Sound: Right away, it is very different from any projects we've heard from Tom Morrello. It's folk-y, and although folk isn't my first genre choice, it has really grown on me. I've always been a fan of Tom and his projects (Rage and Audioslave) so I gave it a chance, and it truly has impressed me. Of course it's quite laced with politics and societal issues and it's a great combo for the sound of the instrumentals and the meaning. Very protest-esque and sort of brings me back to think of '60s activism. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics and vocals have been a near fatal flaw with this album and me. Certain songs, the lyrics are choppy and often blunt. Which is fine for some, but as a lyricist myself I like to give myself the challenge of making subtle lyrics that still get the point across. As blunt and cliche some lyrics may be, they still find a way to resonate with me. The vocals, at first had me almost cringing but as I listened to more and more songs that attitude changed and turned into one that realizes that the vocals and music suit each other perfectly. // 7

Overall Impression: For me, this album cannot compare to the other works of Mr. Morrello. Not because I don't believe it is not as good or that I'm a nostalgic fan of the Rage days. But because this is a completely different side of Morrello. It demonstrates all the activism and meaning that Rage had, but in a calmer (but certainly not reserved) manner. Overall it's Morrello with a classical guitar and singing. That is the reason it cannot compare to the works of Rage or Audioslave. It is a different side and therefore cannot be compared. As they say, it's like comparing apples and oranges. // 8

Comments