The Fabled City review by The Nightwatchman

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
The Nightwatchman: The Fabled City

The Fabled City is the second album by The Nightwatchman, the alter ego of Tom Morello (however this album was released as Tom Morello: The Nightwatchman). This album is still following a folk sound however what seperates this from 'One Man Revolution' is the use of a wider range of instruments, giving this album a certain level of depth that I felt was lacking in 'One Man Revolution.' This is clear in tracks such as 'Lazarus On Down' and 'Night Falls.'

Although Tom is still sticking with his politically charged lyrics I feel that he has definately improved poetically and in using his lyrics effectively in conjunction with the music. Tom's deep, earthy voice is certainly something that makes the album what it is. His vocals with the guest musicians (Serj Tankian and Shooter Jennings) sounds excellent. His singing Tom has slightly improved, and this is most evident in the song 'Whatever It Takes.'

If you are a fan of 'One Man Revolution' then you will not be disapointed with this. It is certainly a slight evolution in sound but still relying on the same princibles as his previous album. In my opinion some of most impressive songs on the album are: 'The Fabled City, ' 'Whatever It Takes, ' 'Night Falls, ' 'Gone Like Rain, ' and 'Facing Mount Kenya' (however this is a bonus track only available on the iTunes version of the album). What I love is how the wider range of instruments provide some texture and depth into this album. If it were stolen/lost I would probably replace it, although I do have it on my computer, but it is a great album.

Lamb of Deth
    surprisingly great album, I'm a fan of Tom Morello but i never listened to anything near "folk" music that i've liked, and i LOVE this album. I know most RATM lyrics are based off of actual incidents, would anyone one know what this album is exactly based on?
    angus_young_32
    Great, great album...I am an enormous fan of Rage Against the Machine, and this album is a definite departure from the heavy, confrontational confidence of RATM (which is awesome). I had never thought I'd like an acoustic album, but this is a brilliant album.