Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses Review

artist: The Number Twelve Looks Like You date: 11/19/2008 category: compact discs
The Number Twelve Looks Like You: Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses
Released: Mar 7, 2003
Genre: Mathcore, Grindcore
Label: Brutal Records
Put on Your Rosy Red Glasses is the 2003 debut full length by mathcore group The Number Twelve Looks Like You.
 9.5
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses Reviewed by: YourMessiah666, on november 19, 2008

Sound: Being the first one to review this cd is quite a shock as it is their first EP. Being the bands first album, the sound quality isn't the best, and the overall structure isn't that diverse. But overall, if you're looking for a crazy growl and scream yer fuckin head off CD, then definitely pick this one up. The Number Twelve Looks Like You of course has two singers, so there is a shit load of vocal over-lapping and diversity from other bands. This cd is based on probing the fictionalized mind of a real-life serial killer. This is the CD that convinced Eyeball Records to sign them to their roster. So all in all this cd is well done, for a first record, very screamy and angsty, and just an overall headbang ride. // 8

Lyrics: If you can at all understand what Jesse and Justin are saying, the lyrics are very much similar in style to that of Nuclear.Sad.Nuclear. So the lyrics are well done, deep, but most of the time you have to search inside the lyrics to find the inner meaning of what they're trying to get accross. Example: "Dragged to the burial where witches flew overhead/Roses drip black and children weep in awe at their mother's side/And tissues break/Shows your ample wit." And since this album is slightly based on the mind of a serial killer, a lot of the lyrics on this album are about killing, suicide, torture, sacrifice, or just yeah, pretty much all about some type of murder on this cd. And compared to most bands now-a-days, they put the message accross with a type of style. The overall ability of both the singers is really quite awesome. Most bands just specialize in either screaming, growling, or yelling. These guys have it all. And sometimes, you can hear all vocal styles on one song. Some of my favourite lyrics would be "I'm so tired of looking into mirrors, just to see the reflection cry/So plain and simple, I need you to die" "The tears turn to blood beneath my eyes/My body listens... as you whisper/My fingers bend... as I'm nailed to your cross." and "The river holds the color you describe as love." // 9

Overall Impression: 01.Don't Get Blood On My Prada Shoes: an awesome start song. If you don't like this song, you will not like the album. This song is just so good, growls, screams, pinch's, even a little breakdown. And a very catchy song after you figure out what they're saying. Jesse describes this song as the first angry song he ever wrote. 02.Jesus And Tori: flows wonderfully after the first track. I absolutely love the little vocal breaks in the song. The first one's a super high pitched scream and the second is a long throaty growl. The guitar in this song is also very complex and pretty awesome. One of The Number Twelve's few songs with a solo. 03.Document.Grace Budd: this song is creepy as fuck. An actual quote from Albert Fish himself. About choking to death, chopping up, cooking, and eating a little girl named Grace Budd. Quote from the song taken from the actual letter he mailed to the girls parents. She was ten. 04.Blue Dress: one of my favourites from the album. A holy beat the hell out of someone while headbanging song. Absolutely awesome, the high pitched screams that they do in this song is just amazing. And the drumming in this song is freakin awesome. A little drum breakdown, then oh shit back to headbanging and windmillin like crazy. 05.If These Bullets Could Talk: one of the three songs that I listened to before buying ever CD these guys have. Definitely my favourite on the album. It's pretty hectic in the beginning with the drumming, overlapping vocals, and guitar. But then it turns into a super slow/mellow guitar line that lasts for like a minute, with background screams done by both singers. The lyrics in this song are very good and meaningful I think. And it ends with some calming piano. 06.Bambi the Hooker and a Case of Beer: wonderful name. The lyrics in this short song are very impressive. Starts with a bang, and ends with a bang. And even has a little bass section. Short and sweet song. 07.Empty Calm: - Instrumental. Absolutely amazing. 08.Civeta Dei: the last actual track on the CD. And honestly, I think it drags on a little too long, clocking in at just over six minutes. Starts off slow and mellow, then it gets into some heavy Number Twelve greatness. Again, the lyrics for this song are very well done. And there's even a little guitar solo in the song. And oh wait! A little bass breakdown too! Overall a very diverse track that is definitely a very good closer track. 09.Twelve seconds of nothing. 10.Twelve seconds of nothing. 11.Twelve seconds of nothing. 12.Twelve minutes of nothing. And then twelve seconds of what sounds like a kazoo and a drum set. A great way to end off the album. The Number Twelve Looks Like You rules. Overall, I absolutely love this album. Although quite different from Nuclear.Sad.Nuclear. and even more different from Mongrel. If someone stole this cd from me, there is no doubt in my mind I would pick up another copy. I recommend for any Number Twelve fan. And on that note, they're releasing another CD with Eyeball Records on February 10th entitled Worse Than Alone. Can't wait for that one. // 10

Comments