Worse Than Alone review by The Number Twelve Looks Like You

• Released: Mar 10, 2009
The Number Twelve Looks Like You: Worse Than Alone

TNTLLY definitely surprised me once again with another great album. The guitars have a stronger metal tone this time around, from speed-y Grind to Fluid Prog metal. But the biggest highlight in the guitars is the Jazz pieces that are excellently preformed. I didn't pay too much attention to the drums but that's a good thing because all I could hear on their last album was the drumming, it's toned down a bit and less noisy. Over all the sound of TNTLLY is their best to date in my opinion. It's less noisy, and the influences and sounds aren't just thrown all together like most mathcore bands. You can hear the smooth jazz, the abrasive Grind, the prog-y metal, and the chaotic mathcore, but it's all pieced together in the smoothest of ways witch makes Worse than alone a trully unique piece of art.

The vocals have changed a bit too. You have less of the angry sponge-bob-esque shreiks, more clean singing passages, more Death growls and you can finally hear why it takes the band to have 2 singers to achieve the unique number 12's vocal acrobatics. Before all you can hear was screaming and minor clean and growled vocals and you couldn't tell that the band had 2 vocalists. The lyrics have improved too. I looked over and couldn't find any curse words witch is cool because you don't need fowl language to sound bad ass. There is some "EL pinata de le muerte" styled lyrics. Minorly gory at times but with deeper meanings than death. I found that members of the band had a dark past just judging by the lyrics. Songs like "To Catch A Tiger", and "If They Holler Don't Let Them Go" have some pretty dark and gruesome imagery. There is also a lot of numbers and names in their lyrics as well.

I really like this album I really can't compare this record to any others but I suppose if your fans of mathcore groups like Fear Before, Daughters, Heavy Heavy low low, The locust, The human abstract, Between the buried and me, you would probably like this band better than most of the bands listed. My favorite song on this record would probably be "Marvin's Jungle" or "Glory Kingdom" but it's really hard to decide the best track because they are all great songs and have something different in each song. I love the effort put into this record and the fact that I'm a Number 12 fan and this really exceeded my expectations. If it were stolen or lost I would be hella pissed at whoever stole it and I would hunt them down and "Find creative ways strip their body parts and use them as weapons of torture" (if any fans got the reference lol) And if stolen I'd try to buy another copy or even steal one(risking my clean record).