Worse Than Alone review by The Number Twelve Looks Like You

• Released: Mar 10, 2009
The Number Twelve Looks Like You: Worse Than Alone

Omg! From what once used to sound like a "scene kid/false grind" mathcore group, now sounds like a well assembled 6 piece mathcore group without an identity crisis. I've always like The number 12 looks like you, matter in fact they are one of my favorite bands, but this record has blown me away. The band is still noisy as ever, but also has a more laid back/ chill style as well. And even melodic. Worse than alone's sound goes from Grind, to prog, to indie-pop/jazz all with the mathcore aggression that is typicaly found in most bands in the genre. Most mathcore piece their influences into a mess of obnoxious noise. Number 12's latest offering is one of the best mathcore albums to date. The guitars are as amazing as ever combining Grind and Prog, odd time signatures, and even have smooth jazz pieces thrown into a couple songs witch are my favorite highlights of the record.The guitars have a more metal sound as well with break down esque passages and riffing. The drumming has toned down a bit giving the band some room to breathe, and the additional percussion is a nice surprise as well.

The lyrics are better this time around. A lot of meaning and imagery is put to good use in Worse than alone. Songs like to catch a tiger and If they holler don't let go are really dark songs. I'm not exactly sure the meaning behind each song but these two tracks are pretty gruesome, sound like the band has had a very dark past, and if definitely shows in this record. Other songs like The garden's all nighters have some fun indie-pop style lyrics like "quick check coffee is cooling down" and makes you feel like you are at some indie/jazz club or something. The vocals are chaotic at times with the sponge-bob-esque shrieks, and death growls. But this time around the vocalists(there is 2 of them) use more clean singing in their songs and come up with some great singing passages. Brilliant.

I love this record so much I can't stop listening to it. The record combines some of the wacky moments of Heavy heavy low low, the surprise melodic passages as Between the buried and me, and the dark moments of Fear before's newer material. Great for mathcore fans, or anyone into experimental metal genres. I suggest tracks like Glory Kingdom, Given Life, Marvin's jungle, The Garden's All Nighters, and If They Holler Don't Let Go. If stolen I'll hunt down whoever stole it and chainsaw them in the freakin face. If lost I would simply buy another copy. Or steal it.

Dregen
    andrew12398
    I honestly don't like it that much. I sort of like Glory Kingdom, and LOVE If They Holler, Don't Let Go. But that's about it. This is nothing compared to Mongrel =/
    plague_runner
    Sorry I didnt think my first review was gonna show so I made a second one...sorry at least it gave me a chance to give you guys a little more info.
    Dregen wrote: Haven't listened to the whole album yet (still stuck on As The Roots Undo by Circle Takes The Square), but I've heard quite a few good tracks, The Garden's All-Nighters being probably the best of them I've heard so far. Actually, it's probably the best track I've ever heard by them.
    And I agrre this is my favorite track as well.
    tbrown8890
    Sad that the 2nd vocalist left...I saw them in concert a week ago with just one. They put on an AMAZING live show and the single vocalist put on an amazing show himself. Its hard to imagine how great they would be with a 2nd. They performed the songs off this album well.
    drscreen
    definitely an AMAZING record and the Band will be missed dearly, the nylon guitar puts everything together and inspires me!