Heliocentric review by The Ocean

• Released: Apr 9, 2010
The Ocean: Heliocentric

Ever considered the timeline that has brought us to today's religious world? As is this timeline a natural progression from one theory to the next, The Ocean Collective have advanced and matured their music with each release. Precambrian (Hadean/Archaean and Proterozoic) began with journey of the earth's formation and development and now we've been given Heliocentric, apparently a critique of Christianity and early religions that came with it. To exemplify the grand scale of the stories that come with the music, The Ocean produces their sound to be as massive as possible. Continuing with the heavy post/sludge metal of their previous efforts (and adding a new vocalist), The Ocean have diversified their sound from Precambrian and made it more melodic, more structured and altogether that bit more accessible. The big presence of progressive rock is present all over the album too as seen in the riffs and drumming style. There is also a degree of well-executed ambient atmosphere going on which is mainly provided by guitar and the orchestral instruments. Although the main instruments of guitar/bass/drums aren't really 'explored' in the sense of technicality, they provide the atmospheric base that is needed for story-telling type music and it works brilliantly.

The theme of the album is well-presented within the songs and the lyrics have been well melded with the vocals: Nothing sounds out of place and the balance between clean and dirty vocals and where they are placed is dead on. The song 'Firmament' is a good example and it contains lyrics stemming only from the book of Genesis in the bible: And God Said, Let There Be Light In the Firmament of the heaven. Let there be lights in heaven to divide the day from the night, And let them be for signs, for seasons and for days (and years...), And let there be for lights in the firmament, To give light upon the earth. Vocal-wise, it's a bit of a departure from Precambrian and more like their debut album Fluxion with the addition of a new vocalist. The new guy, Loic, has a relaxed sort of vocal style. He operates mostly in the mid-high tenor range and his voice is at times either a whisper or a strong soaring voice with a hint of James Hetfield about it. This is to offset (what could be the considered the biggest flaw of the album) the growling vocals which, and there's no other way to really get around it, sound like Matt Heafy (with much more coherency). While not necessarily bad, it's just that... He sounds like Matt Heafy. That said however, his growl is used in moderation and at the right dramatic moments and isn't in any way as annoying as... Matt Heafy. In fact, I couldn't really imagine listening to the album without them.

Sludge/Post/doom metal in general is always in a state of flux, so to speak. There are many bands that diversify their sound with many elements, like Mastodon, Isis and Sunn 0))) and some that stick with formula and keep it like that (in the traditional punk manner) such as Eyehategod and Crowbar. Heliocentric meets in the middle: Their sound is always changing from minor or major new additions to their instrumentation but in essence, the general sound isn't too different from previous releases like the aforementioned Fluxion (the re-mastered version in particular). Heliocentric has quite a few shining songs: 'Firmament' 'Swallowed by the Earth' 'Metaphysics of the hangman' and 'The Origin of God'. The album itself is more like an over-the-top audio book that really needs to be listened to fully for maximum impact. Heliocentric is by far the most refined album they've made and Anthropocentric, which is soon to be released and will be part of the double-album release which The Ocean have done before, will be the more heavier and more metal album which will continue their evolution.

98Timberwolf
    I just listened to "Firmament" and loved it. I never listened to them until now but I think I'm going to love this band. Thanks for the review, if I hadn't seen it I would have gone a long time before listening to them.
    Night_Lights
    I just can't get over the pretentiousness of the music. Like Precambrian more as a whole.
    Aeolian Harmony
    Went to a local record store today and noticed they had Precambrian... picked it up, listened through it twice, and am now on the hunt for Heliocentric. Again, thanks for turning me on these guys.
    travislausch
    Disturbdkornkid wrote: Though I must say i do love me some Pelican; check out the album Australasia by them if you are up to it.
    I own City of Echoes. Nice album. But really, post-metal is not my thing. Pelican are a bit of an exception because they don't bore me in the same way as some other bands in their genre do.
    Disturbdkornkid
    I dunno if i would consider these guys all that sludgey. But yeah I can see where you are coming from with regards to that genre. Though I must say i do love me some Pelican; check out the album Australasia by them if you are up to it.
    test1cles
    Good review and nice band. I like this album a lot and I'm looking forward to the followup, Anthropocentric.
    EpiExplorer
    travislausch wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: travislausch wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: travislausch wrote: I have tried, honestly tried, and I can't really seem to get into this band. But I haven't listened to this album yet. I'm going to give it a spin, since you've said there's a change from their last album. I recommend the song 'Firmament' first, because that riff is so addictive.. I just got through half of it so far. Can't say I disliked it, but it's just not my thing. I don't think I'll ever find a "sludge metal" band I'll like. Not even Down? Man.. I think its time you heard Soilent Green. Its a contrasting mix of sludge and grindcore. Its pretty awesome. Not even Down. I can't get into the whole de-tuned, grungy, sludgy sound. It's just not for me.
    Fair do's then, but yer missing out.
    EpiExplorer
    BlackSymphony6 wrote: good review as well, although i must say i dont think he sounds much like Heafy
    Just growling wise, but most metalcore/sludge vocalists sound the same anyway
    Disturbdkornkid
    Pretty good album, The Origin of God is also a good one. And I don't really hear the James Hetfield in the cleaner vocals, it mostly reminds me of Trent Reznor when the guy sings and Matt Heafy when he growls. Still, good review and pretty cool band.
    rebofthetemple
    This is quite a change from Precambrian, but I like it nevertheless; this album must be listened to with a focus on ambience and atmosphere rather than heaviness in order to see where it shines, otherwise it will be seen as watered down and lacking something that the Ocean's previous releases have (as many people have been bashing Heliocentric for).
    EpiExplorer
    I recommend the song 'Firmament' first, because that riff is so addictive..
    nico42
    I like the album a lot but I have to say that I'm not overly fond of the lyrics that Robin Staps has written himself i.e. everything that's not a bible quote or something. So I'd give the sound a 9, the lyrics a 6 and overall 8 or 9(the sound is more important to me). Nevertheless it's an awesome album by an awesome band!
    Darkkon
    'Epiphany' is one of the most memorable songs I've ever heard. I can't get it out of my head.