Americana review by The Offspring

• Released: Nov 16, 1998
The Offspring: Americana

Americana sounds a lot more pop-rock than punk...but I am a fan of just about anything (besides that rap crap!!!). I really liked "The Kids Aren't Alright" because the lyrics are great and the rythym to it is awesome! The other songs that I enjoyed were songs like "Why Don't You Get A Job" and "Have You Ever". The overall sound of this album is very upbeat and sarcastic, which I like.

The theme of this cd is "american culture" which I totally love to make fun of because we're all so lazy and stuff. Dexter seems to have a pretty clear view of the things many people actually aren't aware of! From trying to be cool all the way to watching the people you grew up with fall apart, he covers it all. Dexter also starts to push his voice in a new direction than the previous cds...it's more high-pitched and agressive than before, and I thought that was the next best thing since sliced bread!!!

This album stands apart from their others because the sound and the lyrics are so different. It's not as punk as before and this gained a lot of different kinds of fans. Also, with songs like pretty fly for a white guy, mainstream popularity. I love this album...as I love all of their albums...haha.