Americana review by The Offspring

• Released: Nov 16, 1998
The Offspring: Americana

Well it's a damn good album to say the least! With Dexter Holland's extremely distinctive 'screech-like' voice and Noodles making some cracking little riffs, the album is a real treat to all new-wave music lovers. The vibe of this album is how you sometimes feel deprived of your rights, depressed, the issues in your life, and the tragedy of whatis happening around you. Not all is bad though, as "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)" shows. There are some great sing-along style songs in there, try having a go at singing like Dexter. You may find that it hurts.

The lyrics are pretty good. On "Feelings", they do seem a bit bodged (but we're all allowed one right). However, the lyrics on "The Kids Aren't Alright" are very good and tells a story of how the world is getting worse, not only at a large scale, but everywhere you go. Also, the lyrics on "Walla Walla" are also good, in the sense that they tell a story. Better than some of these lyrics you hear that make absolutely no sense! Not bad at all, but could be better.

Does it compare to the other albums? Of course it does, since it is their best in my opinion (apart from the greatest hits of course). "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)", "She's Got Issues" and "The Kids Aren't Alright", stand out most for me, as the riffs and lyrics blend in nicely, allowing you to remember the songs. The best part is how the songs stay fresh, and that you can visualise the lyrics in your head. The worst thing? Very samey. Apart from that, there is nothing more to pick up on. It is a good album to buy. If I lost it, I probably wouldn't go and buy it again, simply because it is not that good. Nonetheless, it is a good album, the best that The Offspring have made.