Conspiracy Of One Review

Tones: Hostile, Rebellious, Visceral, Aggressive, Rowdy, Rambunctious
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Post-Grunge, Punk-Pop
 Lyrics: 9.2
Conspiracy Of One Reviewed by: tjm16, on january 04, 2006

Sound: This is album number 6 from the Offspring. Released in 2000, it features the hit single 'Original Prankster', and 'Want You Bad' featured in American Pie 2. This album is typical of The Offspring, full of hard rockin' catchy power chord riffs. However, Noodles and Dexter are starting to come away from the power chords, and have featured some nice little guitar licks in their songs. Ron Welty still has his signature heavy drum beats filled with bass, but isn't so overwhelming as he is in some of the earlier stuff. Overall, an excellent sound, especially if you mhave it up loud, the way all music should be. // 9

Lyrics: Dexter's vocals really stand out in this album. Compared to some of his older lyrics, these are outstanding. His lyrics are catchy, and make you want to sing along, even when the music isn't going. In the slower songs, his voice drones just the slightest bit, but he still manages to do a good job of it. Overall, the lyrics are good. // 7

Overall Impression: This is my favourite album by the Offspring. The best songs would have to be the middle 3, 'Dammit, I Changed Again', 'Living In Chaos' and 'Special Delivery'. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again for sure, no questions asked. // 9

Conspiracy Of One Reviewed by: Truth Seeker, on august 14, 2006

Sound: I don't understand it, why do most Offspring fans seem to hate this album? It's not that bad. Of all the albums to hate, this would not be it. Sure, it is somewhat different from their others, that is a given. Rather than revisit the grungy feel of Ignition, Smash, and Ixnay, Conspiracy seems to follow Americana with a more polished feel. It even goes beyond it a little: it seems maybe a little over-produced. However, it has your typical Offspring guitar riffs, which make them so definable against the other bands of today, and even slightly dapples in other musical influences. "Original Prankster," uses latin beats and has a rap/rock vibe to it ("Living In Chaos" also has this rap/rock feel); "Want You Bad" is your typical poppy Offspring tune; "Denial, Revisited" is an Offspring rock ballad as strange and weird as that may sound. But it is what it is, and should be seen that way. Typical Offspring. That's not a bad thing, but there's not much more to the sound on this album than that. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrically, I would argue that this is one of the Offspring's stronger releases. They talk about almost anything: getting through pain ("Come Out Swinging") relationship troubles ("Denial, Revisited," "All Along," "Vultures") introspection ("Dammit, I Changed Again") among other things. But, I'll admit that it has it's ups and downs: "Original Prankster" was funny the first time around, and despite the use of a pun, the same thing goes for "Want You Bad;" "Special Delivery" was just downright creepy, and "All Along" seems to be filler. But, those aren't the only songs on the album. "Million Miles Away," and "Vultures" show a more poetic side to Dexter's lyrics that I hadn't really noticed before. "Conspiracy Of One" incorporates the use of symbolism, and can be interpreted in an introspective way in addition to the political meaning Dexter was going for. Speaking of Dexter, his singing, is his singing. Say what you will about his voice, but it is a defining factor in the band's sound. Let's face it: if Noodles or Greg sang, we'd be wondering what band it was. It works well with the album in question, and helps to accentuate the band's characteristic sound. // 8

Overall Impression: Okay, so I'll admit that it has it's flaws, but Conspiracy Of One is a solid disc. If anything at all, it is somewhat more mature than other Offspring releases, especially in the field of lyrics. I like the lyrics of this album, with a few songs excepted of course. I like the sound of this album, even though it's no more than you're trademark Offspring style. Their style is why I like them. If this CD were lost or stolen, I would probably buy it again, unless their upcoming album were released at the same time that this was lost or stolen. Then I might reconsider, even though it would still be a hard choice to make. // 8

Conspiracy Of One Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2003

Sound: I feel that the offspring went for more of a pop sound in this album and perhaps strayed away from their style abit too much. The album did have some good songs on there and although the poor pop songs (Pretty fly...) were in a minority I feel it would be alot better if they just stuck to what they are good at. // 6

Lyrics: As usual Dexter provides great vocals and undisputable lyrics. Yet some parts are a bit iffy. Overall though they're great. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a good album but I don't feel that it compares to any of their other ablums. If you are a Offspring fan then you should buy it, but if you aren't and want to see what they're like i would suggest another album like Ignition or Americana. I've bought iT now but I wouldn't buy it again if I lost it. // 6

Conspiracy Of One Reviewed by: T-6005, on february 24, 2004

Sound: Conspiracy of One is probably one the most varied offspring CDs out there. It combines the classic Offspring sound, known the world over, and innovates it with a more catchy quality. A great effort, an extremely balanced album. // 10

Lyrics: Dexter has probably the most bang-on singing voice in this branch of music, whether that be punk or simply alternative. He sings about anything and everything, and that's precisely what's great about the album, it doesn't get too big a head and yet manages to deliver a punch absent for too long, swamped in songs that talked a lot but said little. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs from this album are extremely difficult to choose. The ones that stand out in my mind are the classics, however: One Fine Day, Vultures, the bonus track Huck It, Special Delivery, and Dammit I Changed Again. Although that's nearly half the album, making up my mind about which songs can beat which others on this album is a day-to-day battle. It is probably my favorite offspring cd ever. // 10

Conspiracy Of One Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2004

Sound: Conspiracy of One is one of the best cds the Offspring have put out. I really enjoyed songs like "Original Prankster," "Milion Miles Away" and "Vultures". I also liked the experimenting as far as the love song "Denial, Revisited". It's not everyday that you see an alternative rock band singing about heartache. I thought that was daring. I also enjoyed the song "Living in Chaos". I have no idea what it's about, but it was great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were great. I loved the ones in Denial, Revisited (as I said earlier) and Dammit I Changed Again. They were very well done. Also "Million Miles Away," which is partly about Dexter's late wife. "I long to be home silently lying next to her..." that's a really sad line. I loved it. Dexter's voice is totally amazing and he is totally not given credit enough for his talent. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album is great. I love just about every single song on it. Although many people don't like this album because it's too "pop". I thought it was a well done record. As always - more power to the Offspring! // 10

Conspiracy Of One Reviewed by: feesk8ordie, on july 01, 2004

Sound: The sound that runs throughout the the album is fairly similar, and is very much similar to what Offspring have done in the past. Although it is good, it lacks originality. // 6

Lyrics: I like the lyrics. They are fun, but in some songs, you can tell alot of thought has been put into them I especially like the lyrics on Vultures, Million Miles Away and the title track, Conspiracy Of One. Dexter has a great voice that fits perfectly with the music and lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: A great album nonetheless, but I feel it isn't their best, and Offspring can do better, (Americana, Smash, Ixnay On The Hombre). Although it has some great tracks, (Million Miles Away, Original Prankster and Vultures are the standout tracks) it has a block of under-average songs, (tracks 7, 8 & 9- Living in Chaos, Special Delivery and One Fine Day). Despite the ups and downs it is very easy listening, and provides some damn good music. // 8

Conspiracy Of One Reviewed by: nick011090, on may 23, 2005

Sound: Great! The fast paced punk rock goes "hand in hand" with Dexter's original voice, Greg K (bass & vocals), Noodles (guitar & vocals) and Ron Welty (drums) make up this amazing band! So original. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are also great and rebelious. The mood of the tracks change throughout the album, from serious Million Miles Away to almost comedy lyrics in Original Prankster. This shows their feelings in the album. // 10

Overall Impression: Totally original band! All of the songs are great but the best songs in the album are: Come Out Swinging, Original Prankster, Want You Bad, Million Miles Away, One Fine Day & Conpiracy Of One. // 10

Conspiracy Of One Reviewed by: Jaw Knee, on january 12, 2006

Sound: Ever since Offspring started out, there music was usually ignored by many fans. They would pushed out of their fame by rivals, Guns N' Roses. Just because a lot of their music was ignored, didn't mean they were a bad band with no fans. Their most notable album would be the incredible hit "Smash." But their first 21st century album "Conspiracy Of One" is a little different from their older stuff. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are one of the best parts in this CD. With titles like "Want You Bad" and "One Fine Day" it's almost impossible to dislike this CD. Dexter Holland's vocals are amazing. Yet the older he gets, the more the vocals stay the same. // 9

Overall Impression: This would have to be one of their better albums. Next to Smash and Ixnay, this would have to be my favorite album of their 8 releases. The most impressive songs on the disc (in my opinion) are "Want You Bad," "Million Miles Away," the hilarious "Original Prankster" and "Come Out Swingin'." // 9

Conspiracy Of One Reviewed by: hendo2000, on june 01, 2006

Sound: After a big sucess with Americana, The Offspring needed to release an even better follow up. So, rather than stick rigidly to their traditional punk style, they decided to blend in a few mainstream rock elements into Conspiracy Of One, such as not using power chords for everything. And it worked amazingly! Conspiracy Of One is probably the 2nd best Offspring album out there next to Americana, which is incredible for something that was pretty experimental. The sound vaires well from song to song, and keeps you coming back for more. // 9

Lyrics: Ah, the lyrics in this album are the shit. Dexter has a great voice and he sure knows how to use it. Like Americana, there're some songs that'll have you blinking back tears (e.g. Million Miles Away), and others will have you laughing your ass off (e.g. Original Prankster). I don't know how these guys come up with the lyrics for their songs, but I hope they keep it up, 'cause you won't find many better. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, this is probably their 2nd best album next to Americana. Even though it broke away out of their usual style a bit, it's still amazing. Apart from 'All Along', it's a pretty consistent album, and it's got some songs that really dish it out i.e. Million Miles Away, Original Prankster, Conspiracy Of One etc. If I thought anyone was going to steal it, I'd buy another copy of it, so that when the person stole it, they could be enlightened too. That doesn't include you. // 9

Conspiracy Of One Reviewed by: Tster, on may 21, 2007

Sound: Offsprings 2nd best album, the only album better is Americana. But does that mean this album is pure crap, no, not even close. The band plays their 'own' style of punk which is original to them. I really like nearly every song on the album it's all so good. I'm really happy with my purcahse. The songs a so catchy you will be singing them to yourself all the time. My immpression on this band has gone up so much these guys are so good. // 9

Lyrics: One of the finer parts of the album are the lyrics. They are so good, exactly what I like. Dexter (the singer) has such an original voice it fits their music so well. They set your mood it's really great. Some of their lyrics are funnier than others and some are more rebelious than others. it's really great lyrics vocally and the words themselves. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before this is their 2nd best album only falling to 'Americana' I love the feel and tone 'The Offspring' give out it's original and perfect, these guys are great. Seriously well done. Every song on the album is awesome depending on your mood but the straight standouts you'll get sraight away will be Original Prankster, Want You Bad which are their hits. I would not even considor not getting this album again. it's so good. // 9

Comments