Days Go By review by The Offspring

• Released: Jun 26, 2012
The Offspring: Days Go By

It has been four years since the release of The Offspring's last release, "Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace", and it is coming out none too soon. "Days Go By" was originally supposed to come out in 2010, but due to several factors the release date was bumped. Originally, the recording for "Days Go By" started in 2009 using songs that didn't make it on to their last release but then they left the studio in 2010 to tour with 311 with the album not completed. After completing their tour they returned to the studio, but somewhere in this time they went to reviewing a lot of older demos that never made it onto an album as well as looking at new material. The end result of all of this is a summer 2012 release with 12 tracks, a total run-time of just under 43 minutes and one of the songs, "Dirty Magic" a re-recorded version of a song from their 1992 album, "Ignition". Their overall sound is recognizable as The Offspring, but there are definitely a few songs on "Days Go By" that don't sound like the punk rock that I am used to from them. My take on the album is the "stand out" tracks are exceptionally good and the filler tracks range from pretty damn good to kind of bland. The Offspring has always seemed a little unusual in the punk rock genre for being fairly good musicians; though they still write fairly straightforward songs for the most part you will occasionally hear a really genius guitar lick. The album is mixed really well, which is unusual for a lot of punk acts but not for The Offspring. The drums on the album, which from my understanding were partially recorded by studio musician Josh Freese and partially by new drummer Pete Parada (joined in 2007), has some of the best tone I've heard in a punk or grunge album in a while.

Dexter has the ideal voice for The Offspring, and he is backed by the rest of the band with their customary choruses of "oh", "yeah" and "whoa", which has become an integral part of their sound as a band. The lyrics on "Days Go By" are well delivered and the subject matter fits the music well. As a sample of the lyrics, some of the lyrics from "Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell" follow: "Take me for a ride/ I'm the one you pushed aside/ but it's coming back to you/ yeah, it's coming back to you/ a world to the sound/ take it back and double down/ 'cause it's coming back to you/ yeah, it's coming back to you/ I will pour the gasoline/ so dance around the fire that we once believed in/ I will never be the same now/ cause there's nothing left for us to be/ give it up to the champions of greed/ so come on out and have another round on me". You'll have to excuse any lyrics I got wrong trying to get the lyrics without looking them up online. My favorite song on the album is "Dividing By Zero", and the lyrics on this track start out: "Oh take me higher/ all the way to the sun/ down to the wire/ fighting's only begun/ closing in on you/ closing in on you/ run from the fire raining down on you/ closing in on you/ closing in on you/ no way out." To me, the lyrics have an urgency to them that are absolutely awesome for punk rock, not to mention the "solo" that sounds vaguely eastern and kind of ties the song to some of The Offspring's earlier work where eastern elements were kind of randomly included in their music.

The track "All I Have Left Is You" is by FAR my least favorite track on the album, and doesn't even seem like it belongs on the album. It almost single-handedly soured me on the entire album. On the more positive side, I really enjoyed "Days Go By", "Turning Into You", and "SLim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell". My absolute favorite track on the album is "Dividing By Zero", which could be a metal song if you just listen to the first 10 seconds or so. The most interesting track on the album would have to be "Cruisin California (Bumpin' In My Trunk)" which is more of a comedic song, similar to "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)" in a lot of ways. The Offspring have played a large part in the culture of the mid and late 90's, and to a lesser degree into the 2000's. Their songs have been used in countless movie soundtracks, on video games and even sports broadcasts. They've reached a much wider audience than many of the grunge acts of the 90's have (even though when you think of the 90's you can't help but think grunge). The Offspring absolutely deserve this place in American culture they've provided commentary on the nature of personal relationships, government and society as a whole in a way that was consumable for a very large audience and they aren't really given credit for this. They almost single-handedly revitalized interest in punk rock in the 90's, as well. And today, 23 years after their initial release, they are still releasing good music that is still vital, doesn't sound dated and comes across as sincere.

Alex101
    In my opinion, Days Go By is the best Offspring album in years. I even got to listen to it when RollingStone.com streamed it before it was out.
    blocsox90
    a drummer
    phantom_lord586
    Yeah Satellite from Endgame right?
    gateway01
    I don't have the album yet, but from what I've heard of it, it seems rather interesting. I'm a big supporter of new music, as in I love the new Smashing Pumpkins album and I actually can't wait for that dubstep Muse album, and I'm excied to see what's in store for the Offspring.
    kaptainkaos87
    YES!!!! Thnak you!
    blocsox90 wrote: Does anyone else think that the chorus in "Hurting As One" is extremely similar to "Something to Believe In?" I'm not complaining at all, but I after every whoa-oh, I kept thinking I was going to hear "Something to believe in."
    vppark2
    Sounds a lot like Savior too.
    Bozjoarmstrong
    it is pretty good in places, but let's not excuse Cruisin' California. I completely buy into the mocking intention of it, but it is executed pretty damn poorly nonetheless. Also the album cover is awful. 5 really awesome tracks on this one though, and a few other decent ones.
    Jozef23
    Nah Cruisin is bloody hilarious. One of my fave tracks because of the sheer stupidity. But Days Go By is one of their best tracks so far
    JPScralatchtica
    Awesome album! It's a perfect mix of their classic punk sound, their funny songs, and a newer/cleaner punk sound!
    shredder3386
    I bought this on a whim having always been impartial to Offspring but I must say I like it a lot. There are some great songs on this album.
    vppark2
    Yeah, i could tell right away. "Days Go By" sounds like "Times Like These" from Foo Fighters, as well. I like these songs, but all at the same time im almost saying to myself, wheres the originality?
    batman131
    Well, I love it!! I remember that when I started listening to them, they just released Rise and Fall... And I always thought: oh man... The waiting till the next album is going to be long... And it was worth it!! I'm in love with this album, it's more than I expected! They're back, still kickin asses! Showing why they are what they are. Thanks for the review! I really like it!! Dividing by Zero is also one of my favorite songs of the album ♫ Keep rockin people!!
    ElvenLord
    Agreed, very reminiscent of Rise Against... Still lovin' it, awesome Offspring release that doesn't disappoint me in the least.
    Rastapunk
    This album contains their worst songs... But some are fun. i reviewed it on sputnikmusic.com, I will not put a link but if you guys want to check it out it's under the same username as here.
    xplosive59
    I was skeptical when they were gonna re-record my favourite song by them, Dirty Magic, but they pulled it off really well and now I'm not sure if I like it more than the original!
    ultpunkrockfan
    Metallicam wrote: Really good album in my opinion. Track 1 is easily my fave. Don't really like I Wanna A Secret Family, but the rest is good. Oh and I think track 4 (Turning into You) has a lot of similarities with Ready To Fall by Rise Against.
    I found it really fun too. The first few songs had a lot more urgency that I hoped the record would have. It's fast, punk and catchy, exactly what we've come to expect from The Offspring. And of course it's great for laughs as well with "Cruisin California."
    Tomo-J
    My personal favourites from this album are "The Future Is Now", "Secrets From The Underground", "All I Have Left Is You", "Dirty Magic" and "Dividing By Zero". Overall, this album is better than the previous, Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace. It's heavy and melodic in equal measures.
    ForçaCelta
    This album sucks. well, I guess for newer/younger fans it could sound ok, but... "Days Go By" is a good pop song, but then the album is filled with mediocre emo attempts and joke ballads. If you want to listen to this kind of stuff, go listen to Paramore or Billy Talent.
    ForçaCelta
    And I don't mention Paramore or Billy Talent as an offensive comment, I mention them because they're better at doing the kind of music Offspring try to do nowadays.
    boomtank
    This.
    vppark2
    Metallicam wrote: vppark2 wrote: just listened to the album again and i noticed that another song sounds like Come As You Are by Nirvana... That's Dirty Magic, actually a remake from one of the songs from Ignition, in '92. I think it's a pretty loose conection though.
    Oh, alright. And yea it was that song.
    JayMichaelRayne
    well the songs "cruising california(bumping in my trunk)" and "oc guns" didn't get my attention. and i have to admit that "i wanna secret family with you" is the song that got stuck in my head and refused to go out. great album, 5 stars!
    Metallicam
    coffe_1988
    vppark2 wrote: phantom_lord586 wrote: a drummer wrote: Solid release, nothing special though, RFRG was a much better record imo But Dividing by Zero is by far the best Offspring track ive heard in a long time. Also Rise Against has taken a TON of influence from Offspring, but anyone else think that track1 on this sounds ALOT like rise against?? Yeah Satellite from Endgame right? Sounds a lot like Savior too.
    The arrangement and song melody is pretty much the song Savior, really Offspring?
    Metallicam
    commonrider5447
    This album is really good, I can't believe this is the same band that made the garbage which was Splinter. This album is so solid. I actually really like All I Have Left is You too though.
    BradTheBluefish
    This album goes back to their sound in the late 90's with the likes of Ixnay on the Hombre, Americana, and Conspiracy of One. Morph these altogether, more so the last two, and you get Days Go By.
    dudeman667
    I'm very happy with this album, and i pretty much agree that "All i have left is you" is the weakest track. Its hard to tell if Dexter was truly inspired to write that song or if he was looking for a hit. My guess is its more like the latter. but the rest of the album really holds up, for me, and for that i am grateful.
    kaptainkaos87
    Secret Family wont leave my frikkin head. I like it, not one of their better albums, but I like the hell outta it. Still trying to get my head around Cruising California though, track one sounds like Rise Against's Saviour though, and Im not huge on Rise Against
    stonyman65
    This album is pretty horrible. I'm a die hard Offspring fan, but this album and the last one have made me write Offspring off completely. It's just not as good as the old stuff. It's just too winy and over-produced now. The magic is gone.