Greatest Hits review by The Offspring

• Released: Jun 21, 2005
The Offspring: Greatest Hits

The sound over all is pretty impressive. The voices fit right over the background sounds in most cases and it all fits together. The new single "Can't Repeat" from their yet to come album is very impressive as far as their music goes. It sounds like a new era for them, it's not like the rest of their stuff. Some of the songs have more of a hip hopish beat to them even though there are actual vocals there. The last album "Splinter" was a big improvement from the original sound, for example the guitar riffs are alot more crisp and clear. Theyve come along way and as they've prgoressed through each album on the CD, the sound improves. Its a mix between the recording methods and the ability to write even better as time goes on.

The lyrics could have had something done with a little polishing up when they were produced. On the dvd which is on the flip side of the dvd, sathe lead singer, in an interview, mentions that for their first hit CD "Smash" he was "under the gun", because he was recording vocals for 2 songs every night just a few weeks before the debut of the album. Some of the lyrics make no sense but others sound like a lot of thought was put into them like the single "The Kids Aren't Okay." This relates to how the neighborhood they grew up in had changed since they once lived there and what things have gone horribly wrong. The interview also concludes that the new single is based on the fact that the future is all in front of you and you cant just stop and take a break. Overall though I really liked the lyrics.

The Offspring's first albums really blew it's audience away and them as far as sales go. Major hits such as "Come Out And Play" and "Self Esteem" just go to show how much effort they pushed into this first album and it really got them off to a great start. Since the album "Ixnay On The Hombre" hey have tried different styles like a type of song that Bad Religion might write. Another type they tried was an older sounding song called "Gone Away" If you ask me it sounds alot like new wave more than the Offspring. I love the guitar riffs although some could be a little more complicated. Theres only 2 guitar solos in the whole album but we are talking punk rock so it doesnt matter. And they are still writing music to this very day so obviously people love the music. If I were to ever lose this thing I would be out to buy it again, and I would also think about getting the new DVD that is soon to be released faeturing 14 of their videos. Overall this album rocks! If had to pick one word to describe this album, that would have to be it.