Ignition review by The Offspring

• Released: Oct 16, 1992
The Offspring: Ignition

Upon first hearing this album, I was completely floored. From the opening drum beats of "Session" to the ripping guitar licks of "Nothing From Something" through the mellow, gloomy lyrics of "Dirty Magic", I do not think I could ask for a better album. It was everything I wanted a punk band to have. Fast, solid, simple drum beats. Catchy, rythmatic verses and chorus' with melodies that will leave you wanting more, and vocal tracks that will have you "na-na-na"ing in the shower for days to follow. The musical styles are very similar to Pennywise and even ramones, simple, yet, creative. Most of the songs have a good ammount of palm muting and or speed picking verses. This is not a new technuiqe in the guitar world, but The Offspring have tooken it to a whole new level, and this album really expresses it.

The lyrics of this album had a steady flow and progression as the album closed. Every song told a story, most of wich we can all relate to in someway. Dexter Holland makes the lyrics very clear and easy to understand. Some songs do tend to take some reading into to understand the meanings, but for the most part, they are clear. And although Dexter Holland is not the greatest singer, I think he did an outstanding job with lyrical melody on this album.

Out of all the albums The Offspring have released, I think this one is thier best. although "Kick Him When He's Down" was the only single from this album, "Dirty Magic" is by far the most known and one of the highest rated songs among fans, as well as my personal favorite. In spirit of true punk, I love how this album was not overly publicised. The irony to this is that "Ignition" is almost every die hard Offspring fans favorite album, kinda defeating the purpose. The only bad thing about this album is that it is to short, with only 12 tracks, the majority of wich are 2:30-3:30 mins with the longest being 3:59. Although I on my 4th copy of this album, I would not hesitate to buy another and I recommend "ignition" to any punk fans library.