Ignition Review

artist: The Offspring date: 09/24/2007 category: compact discs
The Offspring: Ignition
Released: Mar 8, 1993
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk, Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Post-Grunge, Punk-Pop
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.2
 9.1
 9.2
Ignition Reviewed by: Truth Seeker, on september 12, 2006

Sound: Before there was Smash, there was: Ignition, a relatively overlooked album, since, well, none of it has received any radio play what'soever, let alone a radio hit. It's kind of a shame, really, this album's pretty good. Starting off with a line of expletives with the sublime, "Session," Ignition takes off with upbeat drum and bass lines, as well as quick paced guitar riffs. It's your standard Offspring. But, it isn't quite what you'd expect from them. Whereas Smash had a mix of grunge and metallic pop-punk, Ignition fuses--quite well, I might add, grunge, pop-punk, and something reminescient of T.S.O.L. (although, it's not as obvious on this album, when compared to, say, their self-titled, but it's there. Listen to "L.A.P.D." and try to say that it's non-existant). Yet, it doesn't stop there. They try to mix different instruments with their music, like, for example, "Nothing From Something" which fades out to the sounds of a rain stick. I like this aspect of it. The only flaw here, is the fact that in some cases the music can get rather repetitive after awhile. And yet, there are some stand-out tracks: "Dirty Magic," my favorite Offspring song ever, has a stellar rhythm riff that draws the listener into the song, and a mini solo that goes quite well with it. "Kick Him When He's Down" is another stand-out track that begins with a steady drum beat followed by a catchy, grungy guitar riff leading into a melancholy, poppy melody that captivates the listener. With tracks like those, how could you go wrong? // 7

Lyrics: Personally, I think this is not really one of the stronger releases where the lyrics are concerned. They're not horrible though, and they have their strong points, as most albums/bands/lyricists do. But at times, they don't always flow, but, they could be worse I guess, i.e. "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)." This album covers a variety of subjects such as relationship troubles, (i.e. "Dirty Magic") suicide, ("No Hero" and I would argue, "Take it Like a Man") pyromania, ("Burn It Up") cheating, ("Session") alienation, ("Forever and a Day," "Get it Right," "Kick Him When He's Down")drugs, ("Hypodermic") cutting, creepily enough, ("Nothing From Something") and of course, your typical social commentary with songs like "We Are One" and "L.A.P.D." That is what makes it great to listen to: songs about the same thing over and over are redundant and monotonous. In regards to singer skills, Dexter is, well, Dexter. Interestingly, you can tell how long ago this album came out. His voice is really young here, although, still typically nasally, high-pitched and flat. Not the world's greatest vocals, but if they weren't there, it really wouldn't be the same band. // 8

Overall Impression: In comparison to their other albums, as a whole Ignition is a strong album that can stand with the best of them. Granted, it's not as good as Smash, but does that mean it's bad? Of course not. It's still solid. If it were stolen or lost (even though, I doubt that the latter would happen) I would probably buy it again. // 8

Ignition Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 13, 2004

Sound: Ok to anyone who has acually listened to this album, they will know how superb this cd is. Going a little darker than the rest of the albums with the exception of their self titled offering, this cd sounds more like a proper punk rock band as opposed to the jokey style that they play now. Ignition has some of the best sounding songs, from the fast pased session to the moody dirty magic each song on Ignition is great. // 10

Lyrics: Dexters lyrics on this cd are more mature (with the exception of LAPD which includes the line "shooting little kids with their toy guns")like we are one and dirty magic the latter being my personal favourite on this album. The lyrics add to the amazing sound of this album. // 10

Overall Impression: Buy this album now. I don't care what you're doing right now drop and buy this album. Even if you ain't a fan of the band this album will seriously open you up to this band. Album highlights : Session We Are One Forever And A Day Dirty Magic Nothing From Something. // 10

Ignition Reviewed by: Offspringer2004, on april 21, 2004

Sound: This album sounds more like Smash than the previous one. Their style starts to emerge more than the first one. I love the melodies coming off of this album. Noodles jams on the guitar beatifully and the drums are great as well. There aren't really any special bass lines on it, but it still puts the album together. // 10

Lyrics: My favorite lyrics on this cd are from "Get It Right". It's got such emotion in it. It's about not wanting to be who you are, and trying to get away from all that you are. "Look in the mirror, same old me again..." everyone feels like that from time to time, and I think it's great the Dexter can express that without sounding lame. The lyrics, as always, go perfect with the music. Dexter is the most talented singer I've ever heard...I love his voice. I have no complaints about anything he has to say or how he coveyes it. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. I listen to it all of the time. It's definitely one of their best! Go, but it now!!! // 10

Ignition Reviewed by: Notoriousdoc, on july 04, 2005

Sound: Although lacking some of the energy of thier self-titled debut, this is by far thier most accomplished work. From personal favourites We Are One to Dirty Magic to the Pyromaniac Song otherwise known as Burn It Up and Nothing From Something Noodles plays his guitar like a god, Dexter wails emotively, Greg backs it all up and Ron brings it all together with his drumming. // 10

Lyrics: Although not as punk as they had set out to be, The Offspring's lyrics are love-lorn and beautiful. Blending gracefully with the melodies, and sounding poetically brilliant. // 8

Overall Impression: This is The Offspring album, get it before any other and let it blow your mind. Recorded before they were commercially sucessful with 12x platinum Smash, this gets them at thier finest, they have both experience and rawness. The most impressive songs on this album are We Are One and Dirty Magic, both lyrically and melodically brilliant. Also worth a mention is the anthem LAPD a attack at Los Angeles police brutality. Go buy it, or if you already have, listen to it again. // 10

Ignition Reviewed by: Azdogga, on march 22, 2006

Sound: Offspring have a weird blend of music. It's kind of like punk mixed with heavy, but probably more punk inclined. There are some really great songs in here including "Original Prankster." The only problem with Offspring is that they do sound kind of repetitive, and there isn't a lot of variety in their songs. The songs themselves are great, and most of them quite catchy, but it would be nice to hear one that was a little different sounding than the others. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are of average quality. Some of them are meaningful but most are just the usual talk about relationships. Their singer has a good set of pipes but it he doesn't use enough tones in the songs. It's the same voice belting out at you the whole CD. If their was some back-up singing it would make the cd a little nicer too. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a typical Offspring album. It's got a good number of quick little songs that are both catchy and mostly moves at a fast speed. These sort of songs are the ones that have made them so popular and in this CD they stay true to form. None of it is garbage, but they just get a little repitive after a while. // 8

Ignition Reviewed by: Weez_o_matic, on september 24, 2007

Sound: Upon first hearing this album, I was completely floored. From the opening drum beats of "Session" to the ripping guitar licks of "Nothing From Something" through the mellow, gloomy lyrics of "Dirty Magic", I do not think I could ask for a better album. It was everything I wanted a punk band to have. Fast, solid, simple drum beats. Catchy, rythmatic verses and chorus' with melodies that will leave you wanting more, and vocal tracks that will have you "na-na-na"ing in the shower for days to follow. The musical styles are very similar to Pennywise and even ramones, simple, yet, creative. Most of the songs have a good ammount of palm muting and or speed picking verses. This is not a new technuiqe in the guitar world, but The Offspring have tooken it to a whole new level, and this album really expresses it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album had a steady flow and progression as the album closed. Every song told a story, most of wich we can all relate to in someway. Dexter Holland makes the lyrics very clear and easy to understand. Some songs do tend to take some reading into to understand the meanings, but for the most part, they are clear. And although Dexter Holland is not the greatest singer, I think he did an outstanding job with lyrical melody on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: Out of all the albums The Offspring have released, I think this one is thier best. although "Kick Him When He's Down" was the only single from this album, "Dirty Magic" is by far the most known and one of the highest rated songs among fans, as well as my personal favorite. In spirit of true punk, I love how this album was not overly publicised. The irony to this is that "Ignition" is almost every die hard Offspring fans favorite album, kinda defeating the purpose. The only bad thing about this album is that it is to short, with only 12 tracks, the majority of wich are 2:30-3:30 mins with the longest being 3:59. Although I on my 4th copy of this album, I would not hesitate to buy another and I recommend "ignition" to any punk fans library. // 10

Comments