Ixnay on the Hombre review by The Offspring

• Released: Feb 7, 1997
The Offspring: Ixnay on the Hombre

It's A Pretty Difficult Job Following Up An Album Like Smash. But The Offspring Did It. Not Only Did They Match It But (Arguably) They Bettered It. The Production Is Of Higher Quality, And Noodles' Guitarwork Is Nothing Short Of Amazing, Ranging From The Usual Drill Of Buzzsaw Guitar Sound (All I Want) To The Amazing Emotive Playing (Gone Away), Nothing Is Left To The Imagination. They Have Taken A Lot Of The Familiar Sounds Of Smash e.g. (Change The World - Genocide, Don't Pick It Up - What Happened To You) And Ron Shows That He Can Drum To Them Fast Songs (MOTA, All I Want) And Come Up With Good Beats That Fit Perfectly Into Each Song. Although The Bass Playing Doesn't Really Stand Out, The Offspring Still Wouldn't Sound The Same Without It. Overall It's A Sound That Can Go 12 Rounds With Any Other Punk Album You'd Care To Mention.

Yet Again Dexter Holland Shows His Supreme Songwriting Abilities, From Love (Me And My Old Lady) Or High School Life (Cool To Hate) To What I Think Are The Best Lyrics I've Heard, Loss (Gone Away). The Lyrics Tend To Fit In Perfectly With The Music, And With A Voice Like His I Can't Find Anything To Criticise.

Overall This Album Is Impressive, It Is Arguably The Best Album They've Put Out. Boasting Their Hugely Popular Single 'All I Want', And Several Other Singles (Meaning Of Life, I Choose etc.) And The Best Track They Boast In My Opinion, 'Gone Away'. As Much As It's A Great Album, It'd Probably Be Greater If They Didnt Take Some Of The Material Off This Album From The Previous Album (Examples In Sound) If I, God Forbid, Lost This Album, I'd Definitely Buy It Again. Buy This Album, Now.