Ixnay on the Hombre review by The Offspring

• Released: Feb 7, 1997
The Offspring: Ixnay on the Hombre

This is their best cd in my opinion. The music is awesome! Noodles' guitar sounds completely different from all of their other albums. The music seems to be more involved than in the previous cd's. I heard that this cd flopped because it was more alternative than punk, but I thought it was great that they did a little experimenting while also managing to sound like themselves. It's also got deeper meanings in a lot of the songs, unlike the others which were more political. Their future albums continue to flow this way.

The lyrics on this album don't even compare to the lyrics on his others. They blow them away. The best ones are in Gone Away. Everything about that song is amazing...it all flows together perfectly. The reason this song means so much to me is that I know what it's about. Dexter lost the mother of his daughter in a car accident and he delivers the way he feels straight to the point, while remaining poetic. This song actually makes me cry sometimes. Another great song is "Amazed" where he is talking about trying to make a change in himself. My personal favorite line is "And when you know you can't relate to one more shiny face your heart breaks" that is the best line I have EVER heard.

This is the Offspring's best album. It's got some great moshing songs and some emotional ones. I would never lose this cd...but if someone stole it I'd go out and buy two. haha.