Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace review by The Offspring

• Released: Jun 16, 2008
The Offspring: Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace

The album basically has the same sound as the past 3 albums with some different touches in this one. This is the first album that I heard that uses a acoustic guitar and a piano. Track 7: "Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?" has the acoustic mixed with electric guitar. Track 10: "Fix You" has the piano in it. Also, in the past 3 albums I may of heard a couple of bass riffs or solos in maybe 2 or 3 songs. In this album, they took the time to add more emphasis on the bass. Which I think is good, it adds more color to the album. If I was going to compare the rhythm and the melody to other band albums, I would compare it to Green Day: American Idiot. The reason why I say this because this is how I felt after listening to the album 3 times. I don't think that this is Offsprings best album, but I do give it a lot of credit because they focused on the true Offspring sound, which they got away from in Splinter.

Dexter Holland is a lyrical master guru. Personally, I would like to know how he comes up with some of the lyrics. From what I know, he basis his lyrics on life experiences. If that was the case, then he has one messed up life. I give this section a 10 because his lyrics match with the songs rhythm and melody.

This album starts off on all 8 cylinders with the first 4 or 5 songs, but as they get towards the middle of the album they start to melo down. Which I think hurts the album. I think that Bob Rock is an excellent producer and really makes any band come out with good original songs, but if the tempo starts high, then the tempo should finish high. The tempo picks up at the end of the album, but by that time it's too late. I was sitting there listening to the end of the album and I was like,"Man, they really killed my buzz". I am going to compare this album to Foo Fighters: Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace because the Offspring basically took that style of music in the new album. Dave Grohl has that type of style with the piano and the acoustic guitar when he presented in his new album, but that is what makes Foo Fighters stand out from all the rest. The Offspring made a name of themselves when they released Smash, Ixnay on the Hombre and Americana and I was hoping that they would bring that back in the new album. Overall, I give the album a 7. I am being very generous with this because the Offspring is one of my favorite bands, but I'm giving this rating because I think they should of stuck with the true Offspring style.