Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace review by The Offspring

• Released: Jun 16, 2008
The Offspring: Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace

Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace is a powerful album with strong lyrics which have lots of meaning and feeling put into them. They have still got their punk sound, but have moved on towards more of a rock sound instead of their pop sound Finally! Their most pop sounding songs being You're Gonna Go Far, Kid and Nothingtown, but I would still classify both these songs as rock. Sadly there are no real memorable guitar riffs in any of the songs off the album like the classic riffs from Original Prankster or Come Out And Play. That is not to say there is not good guitar work. There are even some great lead breaks and solos throughout the album, and even some nice acoustic guitar in the song Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?

The lyrics off this album are awesome. From the sad lyrics Don't wast your whole life trying to get back what was taken away of Kristy, Are You Doing Okay, to I don't know too much, but I know this. Sh*t is f--ked up in Stuff Is Messed Up. But all the lyrics are great. All the lyrics suit and mix well with the music they are put with. The singing is what can only be described as the unique Offspring sound with his high pitch gravely yelling to the controlled and softer singing.

Throughout their careers, The Offspring have evolved from album to album. They started off with a solid punk or rock sound with their first three albums Offspring, Ignition and Smash. They then kept their punk sound, if not made it stronger, but also wrote a slower rock song on their album Ixnay On The Hombre. The Offspring then moved onto a more poppy sound with Americana and Conspiracy Of One. Then came splinter, where they came back to their roots a bit more with the punk and rock sound again. But now with their newest album, they have changed again For the better! Most fans say that The Offsprings best albums would be Ixany On The Hombre, Smash or Ignition, but Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace is right up there with them, if not above them. All the songs off the album are potential singles (There are no filler tracks) but the best tracks would be Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?, You're Gonna Go Far, Kid, Hammerhead and Takes Me Nowhere. I love almost everything off the album, almost, the only thing I don't like about the album would be the dabbling with keyboards on a few tracks which makes them sound a bit like Linkin Park. I love the way they are experimenting with different sounds though, like acoustic guitar (inventive I know) but the keyboard just makes it sound lame. It's better to stick with traditional distorted guitar rather than trying too hard. If anything happened to my copy of the album I would definitely buy it again.