Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace review by The Offspring

• Released: Jun 16, 2008
The Offspring: Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace

The Offspring after 5 years has made a great album, one that still sounds like the older stuff, but with some new touches. These new touches show that The Offspring are maturing, but are still able to incorperate that traditional "Offspring" sound with the heavy driving beats and simple sing-a-long choruses that will be stuck in your head for days. Dexter Holland's voice has not changed a bit and you may think you are listening to a different CD when you here "Alot Like you" has for the verses he sings an octave lower. But other than that Holland's flat, melodic vocals always seem to fit the rock/punk music. Offspring fans always love those melodic chorus', the ones you willl have stuck in your head and singing along with your friends. The Offspring also plced in some piano and eletronic sound that are tasteful and new for them. 01. Half-truism - great opening song, starts off slow and then hits with that power chords and that 1-2, 1-2 bass snare beat and then heads into a nice, melodic chorus. Great Song! 02. Trust In You - sounds like older Offspring. I personally love the chorus as it is very catchy. This song also has one of those short, simple Offspring solos. Awesome song. 03. Your're Gonna Go Far, Kid - great beat, one you can dance and jump around to and the refrains are very catchy and fun to listen to. Shows some evolution in their music, but the chorus goes right back to older stuff. there's alittle Piano too! 04. Hammerhead - first single off the album and great choice. This song just rocks hard. The riffs are just in your face, straight up rock. Melodic, catchy chorus with great backing vocals. Ends with a riff that's very powerful and easily moshed to. Great song from beginning to end! 05. A Lot Like Me - yes this sng starts off with Piano and it is "slow" song, and yes Dexter Holland is singing (just wait to the chorus). A good song for a new style. 06. Takes Me Nowhere - back to the roots for the band as they deliver a very simple, catchy, kick-ass song. 07. Kristy, Are You Doing Ok? - this is the "ballad" of the new cd, another new thing for the Offspring. Catchy chorus that will remind you of a highschool dance! A nice solo that fits the song perfectly. Could be the next single! 08. Nothingtown - this is the song that most represents older Offspring, like stuff off smash. Nice chord progression makes it sound alittle poppy. Bass solo is kickass and good guitar solo. Awesome song! 09. Stuff Is Messed - starts off with the drums and you just wanna put your hands together and give a concert clap! Goes into a sweet verse and then to the chorus revolving around the phrase "Shit is f--ked Up!" Has some of those La-La-Las, that only the Offspring can pull off. Second best song on the CD. 10. Fix You - another "slow song" with more piano. Could be another ballad as it's alittle more powerful than "Kristy". it's not typical Offspring, as it seems more mainstream but Hollands voice really just brings back to just being "Offspring" music. 11. Let's Hear It For Rock Bottom - one of the more catchier song on the album. it's more of a punk/ska song without the horns. You wil be singing along with the chorus with your friends in the car. A good direction for the Offspring! 12. Rise And Fall - more or less the title track. Kinda reminded me of Green Days song "American Idiot". it's not a bad song by any means but it's probably my least favorite song on the CD.

These lyrics are alittle different than most Offspring albums. Most the songs revolve the ever popular topics of war. But Holland is able to entice is listener with catchy, but smart chorus'. His voice is so unique and you ca't help not to like it. Some of the lyrics are satiracle and funny, but Holland always has a point to prove in each one of the songs. The lyrics ar not just thrown in there but perfectly placed to tell the story Holland wants the listeners to pick up on. Holland also has a way of speaking of a negative topic like war and making them fun and a good listen. Lyrically the song that stands out is the first single "Hammerhead". The song is about war and pokes fun at the war and the utter ridiculousness of it. "Take a life That others may live Oh that's just the way it goes."

Overall this album is great. It is probably the best album since Americana as the Offspring really hits its local audiance and more. The songs all have that catchy, sing-along chorus that we all look for. It is more poppier and slower that most Offsrping CDs but a lot of the songs just plain rock hard and kick major ass (also good for some mosh pits). The Offspring have not drifted astray to mainstream like many bands do now-a-days but stick to their curriculum and by doing so, deilivering another kick-ass album.

flxz
    pretty good album imo love Stuff Is Messed Up and the first four tracks!
    JimmyC8277
    Munchlaxatives
    It has Bob Rock's influence in it, that's definitely felt. I don't know why that guy is still employed.
    ihaterap69
    spidey255 wrote: ihaterap69 wrote: apparently noone has noticed that trust in you's intro is a complete rip off of the title track off of smash. i love this album though. 10/10 It may sound similar...but the chord progression is pretty different. Trust In You: F-G-Ab-Eb-Bb-C Smash: F-C-Db-Ab-Bb-C The similarity: They start on F and end on C. F being the tonic, and C being the fifth. Nothing unusual.
    it's in a different key, but the rhytyms are identical.
    RCA1186
    I love the offspring they are still my favorite band and always will be even though I'm a metal head now, heck they got me into heavy stuff I even got a tattoo of their logo because of that but this album is absolutely horrible! With the exception of hammerhead which is one of the best songs they've written in my opinion and maybe two other songs it is downright bad. You're going to go far kid has an intro that reminds me of fallout boy or some crap like it and a lot of the album sounds like they're trying too hard to sound like green day. I must say with the anticipation I had over the last 5 years this album is a major dissappointment. I really hope they make another album so they don't go out on such a low note.
    kamekachewa
    I liked their new album. it brings out the punk these days when its all Rap and Some crappy alternative songs.
    rhcpfan118
    this albums was amazing, i LOVE the first half, the second half i could take or leave :p but it is certainly a take back to their old style. and yeah... they do plagiarize themselves here and there, some very... similar... riffs, very recognizable ones, but there's only so much you can do to make things sound diff when you have so many great hits kudos to the offspring for this one.
    RaiLeff
    Cant wait to hear it!!!!! I LOVE THE OFFSPRING !! ..::RaiLeff::.. [!] Finally after we've waited for like forever!
    Whoabot
    Heh, Offspring rip themselves off all the time. Seriously, how many Offspring songs follow an Am, F, C, G chord pattern? At least 75%.
    megasp@wn
    im kinda dissapointed with this new cd i though it would be more "punk". has anyone heared O.C life , is the Japanese solo and that song is really great i still like offspring and the cd is good but it isnt the best of them.
    whosamerica
    i havent listened yet but everything since pretty fly has sounded the same to me... hope this doesn't disappoint
    Klayy
    can someone correct the release date? it's obviously 2008, not 2006
    Macko911
    JimmyC8277 wrote: The only song I can't listen to on here is "Rise and fall" b/c it sounds way too much like "American Idiot" other than that I believe it's their best work in a long time.
    Well the song is about Green Day so it's so simmilar on purpose..plus American Idiot is already a ripoff of a song by D4..
    Heat-13
    Well this sounds different - although do have to say I liked the tone and the feeling of their previous stuff a bit more...
    Mcfraggins
    TC1223 wrote: ihaterap69 wrote: apparently noone has noticed that trust in you's intro is a complete rip off of the title track off of smash. i love this album though. 10/10 They ripped off themselves?!
    yeah i questioned that too, haha
    spidey255
    Alex101
    Damn, what a long wait. I had been waiting very patiently for a new album from The Offspring. I can't also can't believe the release of this album has finally happened at long last. I'm gonna have to get it soon.
    daytripper75
    i havent bought this album yet, but i probably will in the next week or two. i just hope its better than Splinter, which it seems like it will be. i love the Offspring.
    RUSTDOGG666
    i like this new album. it kinda reminds me of the old smash sound that they went back to. this was a great cd. hell of a lot better than splinter. great work.
    AudioMetaRage
    "But in between the key tracks are a few rather dull offerings that just feel like any other pop punk track or ballad on the radio. The Offspring might have been trying to play it safe (or perhaps Bob Rock had a hand in it) for those tracks, but after more than 20 years together (they originally formed in 1984 if you can believe it), they shouldnt have to cater to the latest pop punk trends."
    This is what I got when i heard the album.
    TC1223
    They ripped off themselves?!
    Shredder Guitar
    the cover art looks very generic to me. i really love the offspring though... theyve always been a favorite of mine.
    phatsack
    damn! Offspring fan since '94 and still loving it. But they definitely changed throughout the years, and not always for the better. I still look forward to checking this album out though.
    findingasound
    I think this album is done very well, especially for a maturing artist. Lets put it like this: When you entered puberty, didn't you have a squeaky voice? There are a few songs on this album that are squeaks, but its still a very good album.
    HeXeL
    Offspring is what started my journey into heavier styles of music like rock and metal. Although I no longer listen to punk or soft rock and became a death metal fan, I still enjoy their songs. Listening to this album right now and I must say its great!
    TheUnholy
    UG Team review mentions the band "maturing" - well, they bloody well need to! They proved emphatically at the Download festival that they can no longer get away with the whole skate-punk act - they're too old, too static, and Dexter's voice doesn't have that youthful bounce any more. If they have woken up to this, kudos to them - because if they continue to plough their old furrow they'll quickly find themselves a parody of themselves.
    ihaterap69
    p4wnkkthx
    Those progressions are pretty similar.