Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace review by The Offspring

• Released: Jun 16, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
The Offspring: Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace

I think this is just another American Idiot, just as Sum 41's underclass hero and Blink's self-tittled. This was better than the Splinter CD that came out 5 years ago, but still disapointing. As mentioned before, it is just another American Idiot (that was an awful album, Blink's self-titled was also EPIC, but it is sad how the 4 most important pop punk bands are going downhill and more alternative each day).

The lyrics didn't impress me or bother me. There are songs that for being "punk" at a certain degree, impresed me by the way he music goes with the vocals, these are Kristy Are You Doing Okay? And Hammerhead, the mix of punk and pop also goes really well with the song's theme. About the singer skills, these is one of the best punk vocalists regardless of your definition of punk.

It compares to the other 3 mentioned albums before, American Idiot, Blink 182 and Underclass Hero (in order from awesomeness to least awsomness). It doesn't compare to their old albums, but as any band, when they do a kickass album it is almost impossible to make a better one in the future (there are a few exceptions, including Green Day and Blink 182). You Are Gonna Go Far Kid is the most impressive song for sure, it can be seen in it's number of plays in the radio and the weeks it has been #1, this is probably the only song of this album that I would include on second Greatest Hits: The Offspring CD. I love the cover and the name of the album, hate the turn from pop punk to alternative rock and love the songs that keep some old fun pop punk escense. If was lost or stolen, I wouldn't care, actually, I lost it.

serb_detritus
    Take_Warning wrote: This Album is a big let down. After Hammerhead was released as a single, and after listening to it i thought it would be a bitchin album. But there are only a few good tracks. The sound is a little odd to, the guitars just don't sound like they do on other albums, kinda over-processed. I don't think it was them "maturing" I think it was them trying to sell to the newer crowd. But that's just me.
    yea. they sound as if they had to make some new stuff for new generations. i dont know but it seems to me that the new generations prefer older albums to this one too.