Smash review by The Offspring

• Released: Apr 19, 1994
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
The Offspring: Smash

I think that Smash is an 'okay' album. They are a pretty unique band, they have a very bass sort of sound because in quiet a few of the verses and some other parts there is just drums and bass, I don't have a problem with that or anything though, sounds good. Their guitarist is excellent, though the album 'Smash' doesn't really contain much of their guitarists best work. Songs that more accurately display their guitarist talent are songs like 'I Choose', 'Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)', 'Can't Repeat', 'The Kids Aren't Allright', 'I Want You Bad' and 'Gone Away'. The Album is still quiet amusing to listen to though, but it doesn't keep me repeatively coming back to it in my setlist. I think that the Offsprings drummer is definetely one of my favourite drummers. He is an excellent drummer, listen to the songs 'Self Esteem'(In my opinion the best song in the album! Excellent drumming) and 'Come Out And Play (Gotta Keep 'Em Seperated)', where at the start the drummer is tapping on the steel stand for his cymbals and the bottom of his cymbals (I think I'm a guitarist not a drummer). But when I saw the video clip of him doing that I was impressed, very unique and creative. Excellent drummer.

Dexter sings pretty well, except sometimes it doesn't quiet go with the music, don't know what I'm talking about? Listen to the start of 'Bad Habit' and the verse of 'Gotta Get Away', little awkward. But he sings very well in 'Self Esteem' and some other songs, not in the album. The lyrics are well thought out and make sense as far as I've heard, but just like the instrumental part of this album I think that there isn't much of Dexters best work in this album.

Overall, this is one of my least preferred albums from the Offspring, I do like this band but this quiet honestly, isn't one of their best albums. At least there are some good songs ('Self Esteem', 'Gotta Get Away' (Don't like the verse too much), 'Come Out And Play (Gotta Keep 'Em Seperated)' and 'Smash'). But this album would be my last pick of all the Offsprings albums, but all too obviously I would pick this album anyday over something like 'Fergie' or 'Madonna' or some crap like that, because that type of music sucks big time, seriously who the hell would buy that crap!

Alex101
    This album kicks so much ass! It's definitely one of my top three favorite albums.
    Donovant22
    The best Punk album ever done by someone without Bollocks in the name. Come Out and Play is AMAZING, Self Esteem is AMAZING, and every other song is worth a listen without question.