The Offspring review by The Offspring

• Released: Jan 1, 1989
The Offspring: The Offspring

I do think that The Offspring fit in quite nicely into the '90s. The whole kind of Teen grunge/punk stuff that was floating around (Green Day, No Doubt, Reel Big Fish, Nirvana, Foo Fighters) is all comparable to this kind of music. Most of it is light hearted and fun, with music that you just want to party too. I know for a fact that the second Hit That comes on at a party everyone is on the floor. I dunno why: I guess it really relates to parties and the consequences of promiscuity. Perhaps I'm going too deep. Perhaps it's just about having a good time!

The lyrics aren't too distressing or deep, just light-hearted and fun (Pretty Fly), with an element of Teen Angst that never fails to impress. The lyrics do comply with the music, the heavy lyrics are with Minor, and the 'Happy' ones in more major. Dexter Holland has an instantly recognizable voice, which is quite different to most artists.

I wasn't really into the Offspring before I got this album, but I have to say, it's changed my perception of them. I just kinda thought: Offspring = meh. To be honest, it does kinda remind me of Nirvana, but I think that's been engrained into my brain due to Dexter Holland always saying they were big influences. I think the best song is Original Prankster or Hit That, but also because I love the videos for them!

Lackesse
    My favorites are:Crossroads,Tehran,Elders,Blackball..i mean every of them..Probably the best album,so honest..
    Lackesse
    Love the sound of percussions,guitar,bass and Dexter's voice is brilliant>....
    iwannabesedated
    The first reviewer I think needs to figure out the difference between self titled and greatest hits. Some of these songs are almost hardcore. It's interesting to see how much they've changed.
    slippyjones
    The Offspring started out as a punk band and ended up as a pop band, this band fares lower than Green Day at this point, atleast Green Day had something to say with "American Idiot", kinda. Both bands used punk-rock to become rockstars (yes, I'm quoting Larry Livermore), but atleast Green Day did something with their fame. This is the only album I really like from the Offspring, "Ignition" is okay, but it sounded like they were trying to hard to be edgy... Arson, (on "Ignition" is too easy). This is my favorite album by THE Offspring.