The Offspring Review

The Offspring: The Offspring
Released: 1989
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Punk-Pop
Number Of Tracks: 11 It's self-titled debut album of Offspring.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 9.3
 8.9
 9.6
The Offspring Reviewed by: bobby544, on september 25, 2003

Sound: First Offspring album, but it was re-released, for some techincal reason. All songs on the album start differently but always end up the same and barre chord-ey. eg. Out On Patrol starts with an acoustic after that barre chords kick in and Dirty Magic has a cool riff for intro and verses but for the chorus a few barre chords. // 8

Lyrics: Personally I love Dexter Hollands singing voice. This album does contain a book full of the lyrics to it. Songs like Kill The President and Jenifer Lost The War have a political view upon the way the goverment rule all our lives. Songs like Blackball and Tehran are about the Gulf and Veitnam wars and like every Offspring album the is always the jokey lyric-ed song. This one being Beheaded. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this album comes 4th out of the Offspring albums (note i am writing this before Splinter). Its good but not great. Elders and Jennifer Lost The War have some pretty cool solos in them but my fav songs on this album are Elders, Blackball and Tehran. I wouldn't bother buying this album again if something happened to it, unless it was selling for cheap, or even second hand. I wouldn't reject this album being played but nor will I choose to put it on out of my collection when at a party or something. Overall this album was good. It only just got a 4. Its really like 3.95. // 8

The Offspring Reviewed by: Offspringer2004, on april 21, 2004

Sound: I really enjoyed this cd. It is their first ('89) and is extremely different from all of their others. I bought mine recently, so I've never heard "Kill the President"...stupid government and their editing!!! Anyways...I really liked it, although it's not my favorite. I really like Jennifer Lost the War and Demon (A Mexican Fiesta). // 10

Lyrics: I absolutely love Dexter...so I guess I'm kind of biased...but I loved his lyrics. Especially in I'll be waiting...they're so universal. I almost feel like he's talking about the emotions I'm feelin sometimes. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a great album and it's not like their others. If you like punk (old like vandals) you'll like this album. I love everything about it...mostly the lyrics. If I lost it I would die and then come back to life so I could buy it again. lol. // 10

The Offspring Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 06, 2004

Sound: The Offspring have always been my favorite band (Since i was 6 years old), and this album is great, but it doesn't stand up to the other albums. It is less refined and you can hear average filler spaces in the guitar when they didn't know what to do. The Offspring were the originators of that metal punk sound and were cast out from a lot of different punk groups for being "too different". // 8

Lyrics: Dexter has always had a unique voice and has been writing songs since he was 16, one of which made it on to this album, Beheaded. The lyrics are real world topics and actually make you think if you listen to them. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall a great album especially for those older punks like people who like The Ramones and what not. The person who reviewed it before me was mistaken as "Dirty Magic" is not on this album, but on Ignition which is the album after this one. // 10

The Offspring Reviewed by: Jaw Knee, on january 18, 2006

Sound: This album may be 17 years old, but its still one of their better ones. This one brings out the more violent tone in their career. Ahem, (Beheaded). Their first album didn't give a huge impact on their career. But it did help them off to a pretty good start. Most of the songs are worth listening to. Especially "Elders" and "I'll Be Waiting." Their smooth gliding style with their guitars was pretty well done for some 20 something year old rock stars. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are, well, more dark. Beheaded, obviously, is about a man cutting off as many heads as he possibly could. Dexter's voice has a great effect on the lyrics. He has the rhytm in this one, not that he doesn't in others. But his voice is the youngest it could probably go for singing wise. // 9

Overall Impression: This album might be on of the more mediocre ones. It surely didn't beat Smash or Americana. It was probably on the same boat as Ignition when it was released. But personally, I like all their albums about the same. Ignition is probably their worst, but I like it. This one didn't shed much light on their situation, but it opened a whole for the light to sink in a few years down the road. The most impressive song on the album in my opinion would be Elders. I also enjoyed Out on Patrol and I'll be Waiting a lot too. The thing about this album is that its age has made it almost impossible to find. It's very rare. That's the bad part. But the better part is that its a great album and its worth checking out. // 10

The Offspring Reviewed by: 22 Balloons, on march 17, 2008

Sound: I do think that The Offspring fit in quite nicely into the '90s. The whole kind of Teen grunge/punk stuff that was floating around (Green Day, No Doubt, Reel Big Fish, Nirvana, Foo Fighters) is all comparable to this kind of music. Most of it is light hearted and fun, with music that you just want to party too. I know for a fact that the second Hit That comes on at a party everyone is on the floor. I dunno why: I guess it really relates to parties and the consequences of promiscuity. Perhaps I'm going too deep. Perhaps it's just about having a good time! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't too distressing or deep, just light-hearted and fun (Pretty Fly), with an element of Teen Angst that never fails to impress. The lyrics do comply with the music, the heavy lyrics are with Minor, and the 'Happy' ones in more major. Dexter Holland has an instantly recognizable voice, which is quite different to most artists. // 7

Overall Impression: I wasn't really into the Offspring before I got this album, but I have to say, it's changed my perception of them. I just kinda thought: Offspring = meh. To be honest, it does kinda remind me of Nirvana, but I think that's been engrained into my brain due to Dexter Holland always saying they were big influences. I think the best song is Original Prankster or Hit That, but also because I love the videos for them! // 8

Comments