Karma review by The Omega Experiment

• Released: Jan 31, 2011
The Omega Experiment: Karma

This is the Omega Experiment. Aside from that, I don't really know anything about this band, except that they are possibly from England. Well how the hell did I find out about them? TesseracT told me on their Facebook, shared a link to their new (free) EP, Karma. This indeed sounds new. This is one of the few bands that give the horribly banal term 'Modern metal' a justifiably good name. First off is this odd little number called 'Furore'. Starting off with this dissonantly odd keyboard heavy intro it soon gets into this fast paced prog-groove riff and someone who singing who doesn't sound too different to Devin Townsend. And now that I've mentioned him, this is where it all unravels. Even though I'm sure Devin has never heard of the Omega Experiment (or he might have by now, who knows), this album has literally been tar-brushed with his essence: The eerily similar vocals, the eclectic and well-written synth sections and dubs, the spangly new age 'thud heavy' production. Its all here, including the sort of 'dance' like beats that were on Addicted!. If you haven't guessed already, this is prog. Neeeew prog, not Dream Theater worship or some typical 'djent' (cuz face it, djents got old quite fast) band called Frequencies or Decibels or some stupid musical element-themed name. As mentioned, the production is somewhat ahead of its time and as it is prog metal, naturally the instrumentation is precise without sounding mechanical and props to the drummer for dealing with those tempo/meter changes (of which there are a lot of). Influences in the album are primarily Devin Townsend-esque but many of the ideas used are a bit more avant-garde such as the dissonant keys in 'Furore' and the full on 'rave' track that is 'Paramount'. Seriously, I could imagine its the 90's and everyone owned a warehouse when I listen to that song.

Taken from the song 'Paramount': I've seen my share of life And I feel warm tonight And I've seen he lies All of you told me the whole time Remembering how it unfolds Very pop, as are the vocals, although that's not a bad thing on this EP. Seeing as there's a lot of Hevy Devy-isms in this EP, anything other than the high-register, mostly major key singing is going to sound as out as place as an icebreakers loud-horn. I wouldn't say its a compromise, but its a bit of a leaning wall for 'modern metal' bands these days to use high register vocals. Still, it will please some and turn off others. I should also mention there's some midrange growling at one point somewhere. Its barely worth mentioning because its there for about 4 bars perhaps?

Karma is a good sign of things to come, or it may just be a very good but virtually unknown one off, its hard to tell at this stage with the music industry being flustered. However, its probably one of the better releases of this 'modern metal' thingamyjig that's getting around everywhere so it'd be in your interest to give this EP a listen (its free, after all). Songs to look out for: Well, there's only 3 of them...

krvolok
    This is the Omega Experiment. Aside from that, I dont really know anything about this band, except that they are possibly from England
    Wow that's so necro,black metal bands would kill to get that kind of anonymity.It's free,well that deserves a listen.
    Cskills2112
    The Omega Experiment is good stuff, two guys out of Muskegon, Michigan. Townsend knew about these guys before they put out the EP. I've heard clips of the other songs coming out on the full-length, and it's great stuff to watch for sure!