Grab That Gun Review

The Organ: Grab That Gun
Release Date: May 25, 2004
Label: Mint
Genres: Indie Rock, New Wave/Post-Punk Revival
Grab That Gun is a fine debut that captures the Organ's knack for writing strangely timeless, and beautifully sad, songs.
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Grab That Gun Reviewed by: teamcooper, on april 28, 2008

Sound: Just thought while I have the time I'll review one of my favourite and one of the most under rated CDs of recent years. The sound being a mixture of The Smiths guitars and Joy Divisions Bass lines you'd be forgiven for thinking that this bands have come straight out of Manchester rather than their native Canada. Although the sound is somewhat limited it works every time with pulsing beats and panning shimmering guitars. Production wise this lends a lot to ramshackle art rocks bands such as Broken Social Scene and even French/English avant Garde band Stereolab. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are what you'd expect from this type of affair. Downhearted and cynical and draws a lot from Morrissey which again gives it an all together more English feel. That doesn't mean that they aren't impressive none the less. They provide an entertaining narrative of young romance over a backdrop of perfectly fitting music. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said this is one of my favourite albums of recent years and doesn't get the credit it deserves. It draws a lot of influence from other places but still makes good on it every time. You should really check this band out if your a fan of the downbeat monotony of Stereolab and Electrelane or ground breaking Manchester bands The Smiths and Joy Division. // 10

Comments