You & I Review

The Pierces: You & I
Released: May 30, 2011
Genre: Folk Rock, Alternative Pop
Label: Polydor Records
Their albums just keep getting better and better. They say they're a folk band, but I'd consider it alternative-pop. There's many things to absolutely adore about this album, not many things to hate about it.
 9.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
You & I Reviewed by: treylio, on june 10, 2011

Sound: Their albums just keep getting better and better. They say they're a folk band, but I'd consider it alternative-pop. From the release of "Love You More" EP I heard a song, also on "You & I", called "We Are Stars". I was instantly in love with this song, going in a slightly different direction than their last album, "Thirteen Tales Of Love And Revenge". It sounded more full, more rounded. More effects on the instruments and the kick-a-s harmonies these sisters are famous for. The only complaint I have is some of the songs sound alike. I could pair "Space And Time" and "The Good Samaritan" together. As well as "You'll Be Mine" and "Glorious". In an interview they said they spent a few years working on the album, and the time was worth it. Despite the similarities between tracks, overall the sound is spectacular. // 9

Lyrics: I'd say the lyrics pretty average. Not super creative or unique, severely lacking metaphor or other poetic techniques other than rhyme. But they're enough to express what the emotion is. One thing that personally bugs me is when artists name the song something obvious. They did a mixed job on that, the songs sticking out being "The Good Samaritan", "We Are Stars" and "Space And Time". The lyrics and the music fit together like puzzle pieces. They compliment one another perfectly. This is a very important skill to have, and they nailed it. Catherine and Allison both have incredible voices, recorded or live. Catherine is a soprano, with highest belting being D5 and Allison is a mezzo soprano, with the lowest note being E3, both heard live. Catherine usually sings with Allison doing lower harmonies, and sometimes vise versa with Allison singing and Catherine doing higher harmonies. They are sisters, and they have very similar voices. Their voices are definitely a plus. // 7

Overall Impression: Their sister act going on reminds me a little of Aly & AJ actually. Both artists have their harmonies down. By genre they remind me of Ingrid Michaelson a lot, with the creative mixed sounds, and with the increasingly better and better albums. I could also compare them with A Fine Frenzy. The singles from the album include "You'll Be Mine", "Love You More", "We Are Stars", and "Glorious". You'll Be Mine is a very enjoyable song, it being the album's opening track. It starts out with a mystic guitar melody followed by a steady thumping base drum and acoustic guitar chords. The chorus isn't so fabulous, with lyrics referrencing to "Sleeping Beauty" ("prick your finger on the spinning wheel/but don't make a sound/a drop of blood and now you're taken.../with a kiss you will awaken"). I think they could have come up with something beautiful and creative. I don't like "Glorious" and "Love You More" as much, but as I mentioned before, "We Are Stars" (tr. 4) is one of my favourites from the album. It's a dreamy and magical track, with the chord progression Bm, E. A very interesting sounding combination. It holds a very deep meaning, the chorus holding the emotion (I just want to be loved by you/I see nothing worse than to sail this universe without you). Probably my favourite song from the album is "Close My Eyes", (tr. 8) a disco-ish sounding track with a chorus so uplifting, similar to the bridge to "Elements" by A Fine Frenzy. "It Will Not Be Forgotten" (tr. 2) is very nice as well (I actually submitted the chords, so check them out!). Its intro always hooks me into the song. The main idea of the song is saying what two people had will not be forgotten. It also is a very beautiful song, very catchy as well. Then, finally the closing song, "I Put Your Records On", a very mellow and soothing song of acoustic guitar and beautiful, soft vocals. Perfect closing for this album, it's the bow on the present. The way everything fits together earns a 10. There's many things to absolutely adore about this album, not many things to hate about it. If I lost this album, I would most certainly purchase another copy. // 10

Comments