First Born review by The Plot In You

• Released: Apr 19, 2011
The Plot In You: First Born

This band is a relatively new entry into the metal scene! Their first full length studio effort "First Born", has to be one of the most powerful metal albums I have had the pleasure to listen to this past year! Having discovered them on the YouTube channel of Rise Records (which I now frequent), I was quite impressed to have come across something so strong and passionate. The instrumental(mostly the guitar work) is in the style of Emmure (which I'm sure most of you know of), but the vocals display a much more mature understanding of vocal range. The vocals include the harsh low growls of their head vocalist, and most of the choruses and clean harmonies are provided by the bassist who doubles as the clean vocalist. The guitar hits hard, blowing apart your nervous system (I'm sure I actually had chills listening to it for the first time, and still do), while also delivering a melodic element that keep the listener coming back for more, even after the album is long over. The drums are nothing too special, the usual occasional blast beat and SICK double kick. I do give the drummer props because he is very skilled, just nothing I haven't heard before. Overall, this band has definitely found a fan in me, and I am Already looking forward to a follow up release!

The lyrics hit hard and are an inspiring entity in themselves, adding life to the music behind them. As with all lyrics, they're nothing without the rhythm, but even reading the lyrics to a song like miscarriage gives the reader a feeling just like the band probably felt while writing the lyrics. As for the skill of the vocalist(s), the lead vocalist can hit some skull bashing lows, and also provides some clean vocals, he still has a small space for improvement, but not much, he is a very mature vocalist and is a perfect fit for the band. As for the clean vocals provided by the bassist, they give you chills as he smoothly slides in and out of chorus and bridge sections. They are definitely right for each other as a band, and have made the lyrical impression on the listener powerful and enjoyable.

The album as a whole is fantastic. I hadn't had anywhere to purchase the album until just recently on a trip to HMV, but it was not at all a bad decision to pay for this album. As usual, I like to support lesser known bands, and would some day like to make my career as a recording engineer and publicist for small fanbase bands like this. There is nothing that I dislike about this album. The final track however, I would have placed in the middle of the album, I felt that it would have made a better bridge between the two halves than it did a closing song, but the lyrical message of this song ("Dear Dad") does fit better at the end of the album. If this album was lost I would most definitely purchase it a second, third, hell, even fourth time! This album is amazing! From the clean chorus in "Small Face" to the brutal lows and catchy chorus of "Filth" and even the all out dark entity that is "Rat Poison", leaves me wanting more from this band. And that's what a release is supposed to do, right? This album gets a full out 10 on overall impression!