My Old Ways [Single] Review

6.3
 6.6
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
My Old Ways [Single] Reviewed by: vppark2, on may 13, 2015

Sound: After the huge success of "Could You Watch Your Children Burn," The Plot In You basically speaks up, leaves Rise, and releases this new single, which *gasp* has very little screaming in it. What were the fans reactions? Surprisingly very good feedback. But in the end, as a critic, and having given this song multiple listens, I have to say, I was only really impressed by Landon's vocals and lyrics. The only part where the guitars somewhat change it up is during the breakdown later on in this song, but like overall, the guitars just seemed boring and way too chuggy. And it's sad because it makes it seem like the song as a whole is boring when it's actually not. I absolutely love Landon's vocals. He's one of my favorite all around vocalists in this scene, but the guitars showed little life to add to Landon's amazing vocals. // 5

Lyrics: This is the highlight of the song:

"Trapped in my old ways.

Drugged you down,
Took you away from everyone that ever loved you
Fooled the crowd
And made 'em believe that I was real
But you always knew

I know I'm late,
But I hope you know
I'd kill to keep you safe
If you love me
Then I beg that you just leave
Forget my name

Trapped in my old ways.

All the pills
All the money
All the pain
Living consequences breathing just to take the blame
I was wrong, I was wrong
I can see so clearly
Made myself look like a fool
And now you only fear me

Fighting to change
God only knows I've been living in agony
I pushed you all away

I'm trapped in my old ways.

Just let me go

Itching, scratching.
My blood's so thin
The f--king ceiling spins
It's clouding every thought and stripping everything away from me
Crawling desperately
It's got me trapped and living in agony

Trapped in my old ways.
Can't seem to break free from anything
'Cause this is all that I've ever known.

Let me go, let me go." // 8

Overall Impression: As a huge fan of songs like "Premediated," "Fiction Religion," "Digging Your Grave," "The Devil's Contract," and of course, the clean vocal driven "Population Control," I basically cried out in happiness when I heard this song, since every single one of those songs have some of the catchiest choruses I've heard in awhile. Don't get me wrong, I love Landon's uncleans, and his spooky vibe he gives off (literally cannot think of another metalcore band like them), but the song as a whole becomes stale after the first few listens. And it's unfortunate because Landon is insanely talented and showcases it in this song. Also, not to fanboy any further, but I do mean it when I say it as a bisexual man Landon Tewers is hot. Just watch the music video for this song. I mean, damn hahahaha. To end this review I am very curious to know what direction they'll go in next. I'm not sure when they plan on releasing the new album. It's kind of up in the air. And this single dropped randomly just to excite the listeners. Also, I'm not sure if leaving Rise will affect anything. The label has actually gotten much better lately, and has been signing a number of good bands, but they're a much more talented band than the bunch of other ex-Rise bands that have left recently (SWS, The Color Morale). // 6

Comments