Live In Buenos Aires [DVD] Review

The Police: Live In Buenos Aires [DVD]
Released: Nov 11, 2008
Genre: New Wave
Label: A&M/Universal
Certifiable: Live in Buenos Aires is a live album by The Police. It was recorded in December, 2007 and was released in November, 2008.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 9
 8.7
 8.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Live In Buenos Aires [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on december 22, 2008

Sound: There was a massive hype when the world heard of a Police re-union, and rightly so. They do manage to live up to their high expectations well, playing all their classics as well as they did back in 1983. In places, the band has brought new life into some of the old favourites. The main DVD feature sounds great nearly from start to finish, opening with Message in a Bottle, working through rehashed, reworked and extended favourites like Every Little Thing She Does is Magic (which sounds amazing to say that there's no piano featured), Wrapped Around Your Finger (Less synth, making it sound more 'modern') and Roxanne (which goes on for about 8 minutes), before ending with Every Breath You Take and the encore, Next To You. The band has also slipped in a few none-hits such as Driven to Tears, Hole in My Life and Walking in Your Footsteps. The last of those three tracks is better than it's ever been, becoming more up-beat and crowd-pleasing than ever. On top of those, you have one of the highest points of the DVD which is a medley of Voices Inside My Head and When the World is Running Down. The bass playing and drum playing is phenomenal throughout the performance, as is Andy's guitar playing. Andy, however, is using a Fender Stratocaster for most of the DVD and tends to over-use the whammy bar in his solos. Speaking of his solos, he doesn't play his best solos on here. In Synchronicity II the solo isn't quite up to the expectation - for most fans, the Summers standard is pretty high. For the record, his guitar playing in parts of King of Pain isn't too mind-blowing either. He does make up for it with his solo in So Lonely, which should satisfy any Police fan's appetite. To say that they haven't played together officially since 1983, the sound is pretty great. // 8

Overall Impression: This is something that I've been looking forward to for a while, personally. I must say that it certainly lived up to my expectations, and beyond in some areas. Stewart, Andy and Sting have only got better in most respects, though I was a little disappointed to see that Andy didn't use his signature Telecaster on that many songs. Stewart is still as over-enthusiastic as ever and Sting is as difficult to read as ever - he does seem up his own backside at times on that second DVD, I'll say that much. Is it worth buying? For someone who's just interested I'd say to just get the standard edition, but for an avid fan, the full thing is a must. // 9

Comments