Give Up review by The Postal Service

• Released: Feb 18, 2003
The Postal Service: Give Up

Originally, I looked into the Postal Service because of Ben Gibbard. Amazing as I think he is in Death Cab For Cutie, the electronica beats of Jimmy Tamborello (of Dntel) really bring out a great quality in his voice. In some tracks (The District Sleeps Alone, This Place Is A Prison), the combination of Tamborello's beats and Gibbards soft vocals will mesmerize you, while in others (Such Great Heights, We Will Become Silhouettes) the upbeat tempo and harmonics will lift and energize you. A great album to look into, even if you're not a big fan of electronic-type beats.

The lyrics, as with Death Cab, are wonderful. Not only are they thoughtful and deep, but they blend so well with the music that you find yourself considering them as one entity, so that you find yourself having a difficult time thinking of one without the other. Ben Gibbard, in my opinion, has a teriffic voice to blend not only with the slow and enchanting melodies like those in 'This Place Is A Prison', but also for the uptempo beats of 'Such Great Heights'. His voice has great flexibility, and sounds just as good live as on the album.

I love the versitility of the album. I can listen to it to get relaxed, or to get excited and into something. The most impressive songs would have to be 'Such Great Heights', 'Nothing Better', and 'Natural Anthem'. If I lost this album, I would waste no time in buying another copy.