Give Up review by The Postal Service

• Released: Feb 18, 2003
The Postal Service: Give Up

The Postal Service's album 'Give Up' has a great sound without sounding too much like death cab for cutie, and with the same lead singer, that is a hard thing to do. The Postal Service has a great electronic sound, many of the songs on their EP's are on this album, although, I would've liked to have seen 'Be Still My Heart'. At the first listen the songs 'The District Sleeps Alone Tonight', 'Such Great Heights', and 'This Place Is A Prison' jump out at you with catchy melodies and vocals. But, as you continue to listen to the album, you find each song has something else to offer. The Songs 'We Will Become Silhouettes' and 'Nothing Better' use descriptive lyrics to tell the listener a story. Gibbard's voice sounds just as great with electronic instrumentals as it does with stage sound.

The lyrics of Postal Service are also very good, but just a little too reminiscent of Death Cab For Cutie, but of course that is understandible. The lyrics have hooks that keep you listening, and you will find yourself humming the catchy melodies without realizing it. The major difference with Postal Service and Death Cab For Cutie though is the overall feel. Postal Service offers a truly unique sound that feels suprisingly right.

At the end of this album you will be anticipating another Postal Service album. It takes a few listens to get into it, but you will soon love the album and the musical direction that it takes. The best song on the album in my opinion is 'We Will Become Silhouettes' it is a great song with an incredible use of imagery. Great song, great album, great band.

danoshames
    Jonny and Ben need to hang out again someday. A follow up album would be the greatest thing that would ever happen to me... maybe but seriously. this album. is. so. good. probably the best album ever besides Plans by Death Cab or Funeral by Arcade Fire.
    pwninator123
    Definitely, Emo is about the furthest thing, go look up Rites Of Spring and feel like an idiot
    Taargus
    I agree, Death Cab isn`t emo. This is one of the best albums I have. I can`t get tired of it.
    muumajii23
    I love this album. I rarely play anything else. Now, a follow-up album would be FANTASTIC. God damn, I hate liking a side project band. :/ Never get anything released... Give Up came out in 2003 I think?