Invaders Must Die review by The Prodigy

• Released: Feb 20, 2009
The Prodigy: Invaders Must Die

It is a shame that bands like The Prodigy have very limited freedom in music industry. I mean, when you are trying to be innovative, most of the times your creation will not be appreciated by the crowd, who's closed-minded and mainstream-oriented vision feels unsafe every time something original comes up. After all, electronic music nowadays can only be heard in nightclubs and on satellite radios (with few exceptions, of course). For The Prodigy, who has established very strong and loyal fan base back in 97 with the outrageous and groundbreaking third album The Fat of the Land, this is not the case. Invaders Must Die (IMD for short) is a fifth (not including 05's Their Law, a collection of singles) installment of the trance-progressive band may not be as revolutionary as the earlier works, but it was certainly worth the long wait since the last album. On their MySpace page band describes it sounds like Bull in your Basement, and IMD proves it with an absolute perfection. This is the kind of music that has to be loud in order to get completely appreciated. Whether it is a heavy drum beat of Take Me to the Hospital, or incredibly fast passed synthesizer solos of Colours, it better be cranked up. You know how some artists put up an intro track with basically nothing in it just to have an extra song on the album, and maybe to just waste you time? Well, there's none of it in IMD. The album kicks right into action with mysterious yet pleasant opening track Invaders Must Die and then even heavier Omen. The tension only raises up until the intermission track Omen Reprise only to start over with following World's on Fire. Unfortunately, the album may seem incomplete due to the unwanted repetitions in songs. Indeed, certain parts of tracks are being dragged for longer than they should. However, more you listen to the album, the faster this feeling goes away.

It is unusual to critique lyrics in electronic album. Yes, voices of Keith Flint and Maxim are as recognizable as ever, but most of the compositions have no more than two lines of lyrics total. And it is fine; we're here not for the deep meaning of the long storylines or for praising of the poetic masterpieces. We are here to have some fun with outrageously crazy drums, guitar and synthesizer. Like in last album, Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned, lyrics and singing are not too important.

It is challenging to come up with one word that can describe the music style of The Prodigy. It is not completely trance, because the beat is not consistent and solid as trance compositions usually have. It is a mix of everything multiplied by schitzophrenic attitude that we could see in videos like Smack My Bitch Up and Breathe back in 90s. Eventually IMD can be compared to the delicious sandwich that you may seem overpriced and not as filling as promised in the first place. In order for it to become the most delicious meal, it has to be tried more than once. Comparing to the last album, new one is a significant improvement but doesn't live up to the revolutionary standards of The Fat of the Land. If you are not a fan of any electronic music, you will be surprised how different it is from the rest of the underappreciated world of techno and trance. This album is definitely worth checking out; just keep in mind that The Prodigy is not responsible for your speeding tickets if you happen to listen to Invaders Must Die in your car.

ed_the_head
    i'm listenig it right now. i was only familiar with old hits (like Firestarter and Voodoo People), had no expectations whatsoever and i'm pleasantly surprised with this album. usually i listen guitar oriented music and this is really a refreshment in my sound channel. love the dynamic of this music
    Fleabag
    I really like most of the album. Some tracks are a little weaker, but overall it is a very solid album. One of my favourite tracks is Stand Up, which has a totally different vibe to most Prodigy songs, but is still one of the most catchy. Overall, a great album.
    lab-oldno.7
    Slashness : ...I thought this was ultimate guitar
    Bonorly
    Thanks Slashness I forgot that msuic reviews meant it had to bne about guitars. And anyway, guitars are used by the prodigy. You lose
    allthatfails
    just want to point out after one of the reviews that The Prodigy are definitely NOT trance...! Try more breaks / electronica. Decent album too
    Dallen_007
    Slashness wrote: ...I thought this was ultimate guitar
    I would hope you realized this website has evolved way beyond a guitar exclusive site, but apparently not.
    lab-oldno.7 wrote: Slashness : ...I thought this was ultimate guitar this is ultiamte guitar and a lot of electronic music uses guitar cus its so versitile also prodigy have had live and sampled guitar in they music since 1994 even back when ol guns and roses and nirvana where the biggest thing since sliced bread! Just cus parts may be synthiszered or mashed up so that it sounds nothing like its original instruemnt doesnt mean its there...forget your prejudices and listen to other musc...it will help you become a better guitarist for it!
    Despite the massive grammatical errors in this, well said haha.
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    Slashness wrote: ...I thought this was ultimate guitar
    Shows how open minded you are. Prodigy is the shit. I still put on my Fat Of The Land cd from time to time.
    MrFunkNasty
    Slashness wrote: ...I thought this was ultimate guitar
    then who do you think jim davies and gizz butt play for then? fool
    ReaperWaits
    Slashness wrote: ...I thought this was ultimate guitar
    I thought you were stupid, Well, as long as both of us were right..
    sajn
    how come these reviews don't praise more abt the title track "invaders must die" i think it's the best prodigy song ever!!