The Day Is My Enemy review by The Prodigy

• Released: Mar 30, 2015
The Prodigy: The Day Is My Enemy

The Prodigy formed in 1990, and while being the creative product of Liam Howlett, Keith Flint and Maxim were also considered founding members. While their earliest music wasn't recognized by critics, radio and TV for what it was, over time they became one of the most important bands in the dance music scene of the time. They are considered to be rave, hardcore techno, industrial and/or synth punk - or sometimes labeled by one or more of another dozen or so labels that get thrown around with dance music. Keith Flint has effectively acted as the band's "frontman" since the band's formation, though his duties in the band include limited vocals and some dancing during live performances. "The Day Is My Enemy" is the band's sixth studio album, and was recorded over the course of six years, and for the first time was written as a group effort by the entire band, though Howlett is still the only member credited as a writer on every single song. There are 14 tracks with a total runtime of 56 minutes. There have been several singles released from the album, beginning with the lead single, "Nasty," which was released in mid-January 2015. Since that time, the tracks "The Day Is My Enemy," "Wild Frontier," "Wall of Death," and "Ibiza" have all been released as singles from the album.

The album starts out with the the title track and single, "The Day Is My Enemy," using lyrics from the Cole Porter song, "All Through the Night," with vocals provided (mostly) by Martina Topley-Bird (most well-known for her vocal work with the trip-hop artist, Tricky). The song is extremely heavy for electronic music, and very intense, much like the majority of the album. The drums on the song were performed by Top Secret Dream Corps. There is definitely a strong dash of industrial sound in the track. The single, "Nasty," is the second track on the album and the track is built around a melody, with the beat coming in over it and staying intense. Maxim and Keith Flint provide lead vocals on "Nasty," with several guests also providing vocals or backing vocals on the track. "Rebel Radio" has vocals provided by Maxim and Flint, but also has writer, Brother Culture, provide some additional vocals. "Ibiza" features the Sleaford Mods with Jason Williamson providing most of the rapped lyrics. Flint also provides some of the vocals on "Ibiza." "Destroy" starts out with an 8-bit style melody playing, and the song builds up in intensity and becomes musically layered. "Destroy" was written by Howlett and Zak H Laycock. "Wild Frontier" is also a single from the album, and has one of the coolest "vibes" from the album, to me. Maxim and Tim Hutton provide vocals on "Wild Frontier." "Rok-Weiler" has Rob Holliday, touring guitarist, on guitars, and most of the lead vocals provided by Flint. "Beyond the Deathray" was written by Neil McLellan and Howlett, and is by far the most intense track on the album, with no vocals whatsoever. "Rhythm Bomb" features Flux Pavillion, and original sampled vocals from Cheri Williams as heard on the Jomanda track, "Make My Body Rock 1990." "Roadblox" was written by Howlett and Maxim, and has some vocals by Maxim, as well. "Get Your Fight On" has a pretty intense opening, and has vocals by Flint and Maxim. The song uses some samples from Pepe Deluxé's track, "Salami Fever." "Medicine" was written by Howlett, Maxim and Mike "YT" Hull, and Mike Hull and Maxim also provided the vocals on the track. This track has a vaguely middle-eastern vibe going on with it. "Invisible Sun" was written exclusively by Howlett, and it is probably the most tense tracks on the album, with some actual guitar playing a prominent role, and some uncredited vocals. The album closes out with the single, "Wall of Death," which was written by Howlett, Flint and Olly Burden. Flint provides the lead vocals on "Wall of Death," but this track also includes some vocal contributions by Liam Howlett, himself. There are no weak tracks on this album - the entire piece of work is very intense and ultimately listenable.

The lyrics on "The Day Is My Enemy" are primarily provided by Keith Flint and Maxim, but also by a long list of guest vocalists and sampled vocals. There is nothing to complain about on here, as all the vocals fit the songs well. Keith Flint has always had a really hard-edged punk rock style of vocal that works really well for The Prodigy. I was also very fond of Jason Williamson's (of Sleaford Mods) vocal/rapped contributions. I enjoyed the limited vocals on the album quite a bit.

I was introduced to The Prodigy in the early '90s, and I've always enjoyed their work, even at a time in my life when I wasn't otherwise open to any type of "techno." Their last few albums haven't really impressed me or even really made an impression at all, but seeming to just be something for the group to release. "The Day Is My Enemy" is different - it is a quality album after a few really mediocre releases. My favorite tracks would be "Invisible Sun," "Ibiza" and the title track, "The Day Is My Enemy."

N-D
    It's really sad to say, especially for me as a fan of The Prodigy (I really waited for this album), but this album is... disappointing. Of course, for any other electronic band it'll be strong record, but by The Prodigy's standards it's pretty weak. All of the songs are very similar to each other - and to the "new" Prodigy style - maybe even too much. I disagree that "Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned" and "Invaders Must Die" were mediocre - yes, these albums have a lot of filler, but they have some great tracks too - but I must say that on "The Day Is My Enemy" The Prodigy lost their unique atmosphere - all tracks sound as if they were designed specially for concert dancing, moshing, etc - but inside they are empty. And it's sad to say again (but unfortunately it's obvious) that their old albums ("Experience", "Music For The Jilted Generation" and especially "The Fat Of The Land") will be always their best.
    jamie_hough
    Agreed. Its one of those things where I think if they honestly don't think they can do better than this album, they should call it quits, at least for the time being. Its not as if they haven't got a discography to be proud of, and its never a bad idea stepping aside to let others fill the void. They have a wicked live show though, they could easily keep rolling that on.
    Reages
    I've heard only a few songs of this band before, but holy shit the 2 songs posted in the review are exactly the same.
    Sebo
    Seriously. Listen to fat of the land start to end. You missed something.
    Chickendirt
    fair enough, I can see what you're saying. The album though has been smashed by users though, and with only 13 votes set and your comment getting +9...well I just don't see how someone of your opinion, or who shares your opinion can give it an average of 5.2. As you said, it's a strong record when not listened in context with The Prodigy's discography. It's at least a 7.5
    jaymo2
    To be honest The Prodigy was never my thing. some cool videos (smack my bitch up) for example. But i could never really get through a complete album / cd in one sitting. But live on the other hand, they are the best thing out there. Energy just pours off the stage like an atomic blast. Maxim always in control/ flint flamboyant and metal and Liam centerstage over seeing it all and with Leo ( tour drums ) and amazing drummer and Rob Holliday#s guitar bits are in the right place at the right time plus his stage presence. that to me is the Prodigy, and i never pass up a chance to see them live because no matter what your into the shit just plane rocks live!!! and there is no way they can bottle that live energy and stick it on a record. so review the records but know that live every song is just that much better.