The Fat Of The Land Review

artist: The Prodigy date: 12/01/2010 category: compact discs
The Prodigy: The Fat Of The Land
Released: Jun 30, 1997
Genre: Big beat, synthpunk, breakbeat, hardcore techno
Label: XL, Maverick
 8.3
 7.7
 8.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
The Fat Of The Land Reviewed by: Nirvanafan60, on december 01, 2010

Sound: These guys are the origins of drum and bass music and they do it in a punky style, they can show some Sex Pistols like energy in there music and have a lot of metal characteristics in their music. I don't like techno that much but these guys are the only exception. This album was the breakthrough album for Prodigy and really put them on the music scene, landmark songs like Smack my bitch up and Firestarter are well known by the majority of the public but there are some really good songs that didn't quite make it such as Funky shit. I thought that this band was going to be another crappy techno band but I actually listened to them and I thought these guys aren't actually to bad so don't say their bad when you haven't heard them yet. There sound is very unique and is very bassy obviously seeing that's what techno is about, anyway there sound is very catchy and is very popular for dancing to and goes off in the nightclubs. The whole point of bands like Prodigy is not to make it big in the charts but to make it big in the clubs therefore a lot of it isn't mainstream music. What I'm saying is their sound has got a lot of metal quality's and don't kick them before you them. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are short and sweet and really no one cares about the lyrics but they do have a subliminal meaning and are very catchy. The lyrics of Firestarter are very much like Anarchy in the UK by The sex pistols very punky very anti-public. The singer sounds very similar to The sex pistols lead singer (Johnie Rotten.). His singing kills are really good and are perfect for this style seeing the clubs don't care about the singer. The lyrics could fit into any style because they could go into Metal, Rock, Grunge, Punk and Alternative. I just love the attitude that these lyrics create. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is the best Prodigy album in my opinion, They have really hit the spot with it. The most impressive song for me was Firestarter because punky lyrics and its fast paced bass and drum lines. The thing I really love about this album is that it was never intended on being a chart topper album I don't think anything Prodigy did was suppose to be big chart topping music. The only thing I hate about this album is that it gets a bit to poppy techno for my liking but its still a good album overall. I would buy this album again seeing that is really cheap :P but I would buy it back because it is good album. Really good album, Thumbs up Prodigy. // 7

Comments