The Protomen review by The Protomen

• Released: Sep 3, 2005
The Protomen: The Protomen

Firts off this CD is a rock opera about Mega man. This initially bring to mind the sounds of a midi keyboard, and while this band has a number of keyboards their sound is anything but beeps a boops. This group is heavy as hell, from lyrics to their thrash style guitar the album is the whole package. The album tells the story of Protoman, a robot created by Dr. Light to defeat the evil Dr. Wily who has cast oppression upon the people with his army of robot. Protoman fights and is ultimently defeated. Dr. Light, heart broken, builds a new robot in teh image of his mechanical son, who takes up the fight. It is honestly an epic tale on this CD.

The lyrics extremely well done. They have a kind of desperation the dismal world they paint needs, and the variety in the sound is very cool. They have a very big sound created by layers of vocals. In the foreground you hear the voice of Mega man while the people chant the propaganda spewed by Dr. Wily's loud speakers. The main singer in the group has the vocal qualities of almost hair mostly, but that isn't a bad thing for this group, and the duets between Mega man and Protoman are very compelling.

I'm a real fan of progressive music, and this album really fits that niche. This is one of my favorite rock operas, comparable to the work of Queensyrche on Operation: Mindcrime. The best song on this album in my opinion is Unrest In The House Of Light. It has a kind of country/folk feel. I love how well the story is told. I have a number of friends who don't like video games, but really like this album. If it were lost or stolen I would get another in a heart beat.

Eggness
    I love the Protomen, I just wish that there were more tabs of them on here
    Munkymasher
    Do not fret fellow Protofans... i'm going to resume my work on the other tabs when my time allows it to be so...
    Gorgutz
    Oh man. This has quickly become my current favorite album. Absolutely amazing.