Broken Boy Soldiers review by The Raconteurs

• Released: May 15, 2006
The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers

To start off, for those of you who don't know who The Raconteurs are, it is a band that Jack White and Brendan Benson put together with Patrick Keeler and Jack Lawrence of The Greenhornes. I will admit I am a huge White Stripes fan, so I may be a tad biast. That being said, if you go into listening to this album excpecting another classic White Stripes style CD, you will be very dissapointed. Not to say that this isn't a good cd because I have thoroughly enjoyed it. There are several catchy songs with great choruses, but not really one definitive guitar solo on the whole album. A few very moody, great acoustic songs. The song that has really stuck in my head though is Blue Veins, the last track on the CD. It's a great little blues number, my only complaint is that it's not like 10 minutes long, because I wish it would go on forever.

With Jack White and Brendan Benson writing the lyrics you know they are gonna give you some deep stuff. But there are some of your routine love songs mixed in. The way Jack and Brendan harmonize and sing backup for each other can range from eary, to down right beautiful.

Like I said, don't go in looking for a White Stripes style album. Take it for what it is, a good album with a style of music we just don't get enough of these days. It's worth a listen for Stripes fans and non Stripes fans alike.