Broken Boy Soldiers review by The Raconteurs

• Released: May 15, 2006
The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers

When I first heard that Jack White had a new band made up, I thought "Awesome!" The band consists of Brendan Benson (vocals, guitars, keyboards), Jack White (vocals, guitars, keyboards), Jack Lawrence (bass guitar), and Patrick Keeler (drums). They are all old friends and this band started out in the summer in an attic. The sound that these guys have is awesome! Very retro, '60s, '70s. The guitar work on this album is great, the vocals (both Jack and Brendan) are very nice, and a lot of the effects, keyboards and drums are very creative and catchy. Very talented bunch! When I first heard the album I thought "Wow, incredible." If you want upbeat, yet creative music with a retro touch, check these guys out. The acoustic songs on this album are very Beatles-ish, some are Zeppelin sounding, and they even have a Jethro Tull-ish feel to them. The sound is awesome!

The lyrics in this album really hit home for me. The lyrics are simple, yet effective and pleasing. Not too complex and not stupid. It is a well written album. The vocals on this album really enhances the songs and the lyrics. If you are not pleased with the lyrics, the sound of the music should keep you satisfied. As Roger Waters (singer, bassist, lyricist of Pink Floyd) is my favourite lyricist.

This album can compare with some old White Stripe albums (but with more instruments), some Led Zeppelin albums, Beatles albums and many other classic bands. All the members of this band loved classic rock. The songs that really stick out, for me, are "Broken Boy Soldiers," "Blue Veins," "Together" and "Store Bought Bones." The music, the lyrics, and the guitar work just amaze me. Great. I love this album, period. I don't dislike anything on this album. And, it is well worth the buy. If it got stolen I would probably cry, and then buy another one. Great album, I am very pleased. Good job guys!

pebble_rebel
    i wouldnt go overboard, its a nice album but i can hardly imagining it being the sound track to my summer. Maybe something to pick back up in a few years time.
    eM.
    "[..]some are Zeppelin sounding [..]" Yeah, it's like: let's take one great Zeppelin song and sing some dumb shit over it, that might be fun! I like The Greenhornes, Brendan is ok, and Jack - I love Jack, but when they come together, it's tragic. Songs like Steady As She Goes, Together are dumb, lyrics are lame. What's with theese intros? And reverse, echo effects? Is it supouse to be cool or anything? Although some songs could be really good (Blue Veins,Intimate Secretary or Hands maybe), they ar full of this postmodern shit intros, instruments, effects that are not plesurable anymore. There is something really disgusting about all the band.
    Amy_Lee
    Hmm, sounds good. Kerrang! gave it the full five KKKKK so...mmm...
    Broelke4
    I love this album... It's all I've listened to for the last two days.
    PinkIsCool
    ^Last two days? Didn't it come out today? I really enjoy "Steady as She Goes" and I will definitely pick this album up when I see it.
    Tenacious_dex
    ^It came out on Monday in UK, and Tuesday in US. It's a great album. Broken Boy Soldier is my favourite song on there.
    CandyCaneBoy
    This is a great album. I'm not really into Brendan's slow stuff like Call it a day and together, but Broken Boy Soldiers is a flat out amazing song. I've been listening to it constantly since it came out. I think it'a groundbreaking.
    sufjan_godly
    great album in my opinion...it was really strange hearing jack white's voice over really fantastic drums...lol not i dont love meg
    davidgilmourfan
    schwedengitarre wrote: I also think thats a great album. Brendan Benson and Jack White in one band has to be cool.
    I agree... good album, and I love the drums... Meg white is not the greatest, but it keeps the stripes going! lol, I'm glad you guys found the review helpful! Thanks
    iNsTiNcT_bLuEs
    i think that blue veins and level are the best tracks on here but overall its an awsome album
    paul87
    i like steady as she goes. good album, kind of short though...