Broken Boy Soldiers review by The Raconteurs

• Released: May 15, 2006
The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers

Dude, when I first heard about Jack White doing a new side project I wasn't to happy because I love The White Stripes but, I picked up this CD a few weeks early and was Amazed. Jack White's vocals along with the nifty guitar of Brendan Benson and Jack Lawrence on bass and we can't forget Patrick Keeler on the drums make this band one to listen to. It's sound is something different than most music made now but, it's refreshing to hear something new and different. The almost techno-like intro they have on a few songs is really neat and once again shall I say different.

Wow, Jack White is a song writing genious along with Brendan Benson makes the vocals on this CD amazing. The lyrics I thought were well written and flowed nicely. To me it all sounded great. The lyrics are indeed simple but, they make their point.

Gosh, this CD reminds me of The White Stripes only.. dare I say better. Songs that really stood out to me had to be "Steady As She Goes", "Hands", "Store Bought Bones", "Level", and "Blue Vains". I just flat out love this album it'll problay be one of my most listened CD's ever. If this was stolen, I would have to hunt down whoever stole it and teach them a lesson, then just to show them that they will never win I'll buy another 10 copies of this CD.

cassavar
    I can?t say I?m impressed. I?d rather rock out to White?s screeching vocals in White Stripes songs. The lyrics seemed forced, kinda wanna be cool. Together suks. Another disappointment is that there wasn?t a lot of good guitar solo?s like good old Jack use to jam to. Plus the good old White stripes songs you could jam to the simple licks, these are just simple licks. I can't say anything near zepplin or pink floyd in any way shape or form.
    buddy_101
    it's differnet to what i was expecting, though, i'm not sure what i was expecting in the first place. it's a good album all round but a bit mellower than most WS stuff, probably because of benson.
    davidgilmourfan
    Oh, I didn't say it was anything near Pink Floyd... but I've been listening to Pink Floyd forever, I can name every album, song, band member, producer, date by heart. Broken Boy Soldiers has a 60s floyd sound to it and in BLUE VEINS some of jacks singing (backward vocals) sounds like Robert Plant. Led Zeppelin is Jack's favourite band, and these 4 guys together are very musically talented and much better than most bands these days. Long live Classic rock.
    corporal_clegg
    Well a great album indeed! i love the white stripes and i love brendan benson! so.. great combo!!
    stagasarus8
    i just got it today it has a great sound it sounds alot more like folk music than the stripes
    limade123456
    it was ok but i was almost afraid to get the album because of the cover so many good bands have goth cd covers shameful