Broken Boy Soldiers review by The Raconteurs

• Released: May 15, 2006
The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers

What is there to say about the sound of this album? It's different than what most bands sound like today, that's for sure. Look at the title track (Broken Boy Soldier). It sounds like some sort of eerie folk music, with an ominous drum beating in the background and some screeching vocals by Mr. Jack White. There's also the simplistic, power-chord songs such as "Steady, As She Goes" and "Hands". Then there's the slow songs, mostly written and sung by Brendan Benson. I'm not saying he's a bad guy or anything, I just think that some of the songs he did on this album, "Together", for instance, just aren't what someone who is buying the Raconteurs album would really want. Finally, there's the just plain odd songs, and that could be in a good way. The slide guitar and distorted organ of "Store Bought Bones", for example. There's something about the sound of this band that makes me think about classic rock. It's just there. I don't really know what to say about it except that it sounds like some late 60s, early 70s rock, or at least some of it does.

Lyrics are almost too simple, really. Listen to "Intimate Secretary" and you'll know what I mean: "I got a rabbit that likes to hop/ I got a girl and she likes to shop." It really surprises me how simple these lyrics are. If you have ever listened to anything that Brendan Benson has written, you know why. It's the same with the White Stripes. They're just a simpler than I expected to be. But that's not bad, really. They're easy to sing along to, and have some sort of meaning. They also really fit well with the songs they are with. They just sound good with the music, and Jack's screeching and Brendan's harmonies sound very nice.

My overall impression of this album would be great. Sure, it's got its bad points (look at "Together"), but overall, I would recommend it. Songs like "Hands" and "Blue Veins" are impressive, even with their simplistic sounds and heavy effects. Jack never fails to find some use of his Whammy. The only thing I really hate about it is "Together". I can't get over how lame it is, yet I can't get over how cool "Store Bought Bones" and "Blue Veins" really are, even if, like I said before, they are simplistic. So, as my last thing to say in this review, it would be that Jack, Brendan, Patrick, and the other Jack made an impressive album for first timers. Three words describe this album: Simple yet impressive.

thishollowhill
    What the hell are you talking about? It's a really good album, but if you're looking for another stripes album, don't even bother.
    Einkunst
    eM.
    limade123456 wrote: it was ok but i was almost afraid to get the album because of the cover so many good bands have goth cd covers shameful
    LOL!
    davidgilmourfan
    Einkunst wrote: It's a great album, but I'm ****ing disappointed in how narrow minded some of you people are. It's like you wanted 10 "Steady, As She Goes" on there, or another White Stripes album to make up for "Get Behind Me Satan". The Raconteurs are a new band, forget who the individual members are, they are a new band. Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone who's commented, just some of you. And, what's with all this bashing of "Together"? It's a great song, it's got this thing that you Kerrang! readers probably don't recognise called a melody. It's the Blues. You can feel heart and soul in it. So it's not a 2 minute garage rock thrash? So what? Fuck off and listen to ****ing Evanescence.
    I agree...